"competitive list" letter for RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh-I htink I figured it out (how to enable my pm box). feel free to pm me.

Members don't see this ad.

No problem littledoc. I understand how frustrating this process can be, and hopefully you'll get an answer from RWJ soon.

To activate your PM box, go to the user CP in the upper left hand corner of the screen, go to "Edit Options" in the task bar on the left side, and click on the box that says "Enable Private Messenging".

H&T

Edit: I'm too late :)

littledoc2be said:
I called the admissions office today. They said there is one list and it is ranked. and there is no such hting as a high priority wait list, they just changed their lingo. so a wait list is a wait list. thought i would bring the good news to some of you downers.

Thats exactly right, its seperated in tiers and unranked in those tiers. I just assumed "high priority" meant towards or even at the top of the list. Well I want this as bad as you do little doc .. I hope one of us gets it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hypersting-have you called the admissions office to fidn out your status or to get any other information about the waitlist from them?

anyone know if there is any way of finding out how many students were accepted off the waitlist at RWJ last year or how far down the list they got?

littledoc.... Yes I have. I am in the middle tier, so it will be a close call. We'll see what happens. Best of luck. Oh, and they never answer that question directly, so unless you know somoene from the inside, none of us will ever know the answer to that.

Littledoc,

try to relax... I am in the same position as you are and I do not think it is fair to rush people to make a decision or to look down on those that are holding multiple spots. If they have multiple acceptances, then they deserve to be in that position, and both me and you and anyone else on the waitlist needs to relax and let things resolve by themselves. I understand that this process is very frustrating and believe me, I would absolutely love to go to RWJ, but some things are just beyond your control. Have faith in yourself as as a future physician and everything will work out.

On a different note, I called RWJ in april inquiring about my position on the waitlist. They told me I was in the first tier, but somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd subsection of that tier. But listen to this... when I called yesterday, the lady told me I was somewhere in the middle of the entire waitlist, and when I asked her which tier that was, she told me THEY DO NOT HAVE TIERS. So as you can see, it seems that even the admissions people are not consistent with what they tell applicants. Right now, we just have to hold tight and wait. What is meant to be is meant to be.

Good luck to everyone!

anybody else hear anything recently from rwj?

I just withdrew my acceptance today so hopefully that will give you some movement.

Lots of you have stated RWJ is your first choice. Can you tell me why? I am a NJ resident trying to decide to stay instate at RWJ or go to CASE or PITT. Please don't be upset. As soon as I can get some feedback I will happily make a decision and possibly free up a space for you.

It just seems they are still very didactic with the curriculum. I wonder wnat learning there would be like compared to an intergrative organ based curriculum. Oh, and why does it seem like RWJ has a local reputation only. Are you guys planning to practice in NJ?

for me the #1 reason is because of the location of the school. It is 5 minutes away from my husband's job, whereas all the other schools are at least an hour away, so either he would have to travel a lot or find a new job.

Its in state meaning its close to home and less dollars, considering I went to an overpriced undergrad and the reputation is good for east coast (what i care about). Their students do well on the boards and I really liked their clinical teaching in Camden. Doing trauma surgery in your M4 year.... how can that be beat? :)

littledoc2be said:
for me the #1 reason is because of the location of the school. It is 5 minutes away from my husband's job, whereas all the other schools are at least an hour away, so either he would have to travel a lot or find a new job.

An hour commute isn't horrible (as long as that hour isn't two with traffic), many people commute that far or farther. The philly to NY commute is not unheard of (i.e. living in a philadelphia suburb and working in NY), so an hour isn't the end of the world, although I suppose 5 minutes is ideal :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i am talking an hour in a peprfect world without any traffic. but commuting from long island islike a nightmare. realisticly it hsould take like 2 hours sitting in traffic each way which is hell to do at 6 in the morning. (he has to be at work at 8)

Haha .. Long Island ... 'nuff said. No one enjoys the Belt or the LIE.

hypersting said:
Its in state meaning its close to home and less dollars, considering I went to an overpriced undergrad and the reputation is good for east coast (what i care about). Their students do well on the boards and I really liked their clinical teaching in Camden. Doing trauma surgery in your M4 year.... how can that be beat? :)
what overpriced school did you attend? and do you really like the school or is it a default because of price? If money weren't an issue would you still go to RWJ?

Kyauna80,

I recently had to make essentially the same decision - RWJ vs. Pitt. I chose Pitt. In the end, I realized that the only factors that would make me choose RWJ is lower cost and proximity to my boyfriend (as well as family). My boyfriend is actually going to be a third year there next year, so that made it even more difficult.

I have spoken to many students at RWJ, and mostly they are "eh" about the school. I didn't get a particularly good vibe when I was there, and I felt that the facilities were rather gloomy. I also don't like their curriculum set-up or grading system. I also don't like how you only train at one or two hospitals....

So, for many reasons, I have decided on Pitt. Feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions... and good luck!

quideam

quideam said:
Kyauna80,

I recently had to make essentially the same decision - RWJ vs. Pitt. I chose Pitt. In the end, I realized that the only factors that would make me choose RWJ is lower cost and proximity to my boyfriend (as well as family). My boyfriend is actually going to be a third year there next year, so that made it even more difficult.

I have spoken to many students at RWJ, and mostly they are "eh" about the school. I didn't get a particularly good vibe when I was there, and I felt that the facilities were rather gloomy. I also don't like their curriculum set-up or grading system. I also don't like how you only train at one or two hospitals....

So, for many reasons, I have decided on Pitt. Feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions... and good luck!

quideam
quideam,
I really am interested in your situation. I also got into Pitt and haven't sent a reply yet. Essentially it was between Case , Pitt and RWJ. if Money and BF weren't a factor I'd definitely go to Case or Pitt. I think I liked the vibe of cleveland and Case better than pitt. I have so much anxiety. I am scared I'll get to cleveland and break down without him or family. I am so nervous.. everyone at RWJ was saying how stressful med school is ant that I would need the ability to go home. They were like "med school sucks" so you may as well stay home. BUT other students at schools like Pitt and Case seemed happy.

You are strong to make such a brave decision. How long have you been dating your BF and how do you all plan to work things out?

kyauna80 said:
what overpriced school did you attend? and do you really like the school or is it a default because of price? If money weren't an issue would you still go to RWJ?

I only brought up my undergrad to say I already had debt. Price is not my driving motiviation, but going to a private school away far away from home, satiated both of those desires for me. If you went to undergrad in NJ on a scholarship, you may have want something different from your medical school experience. I am on the waitlist at RWJ and I illustrated in my previous post a bunch of other reasons I wanted to go there (not just financial), the first and foremost being the clinical experience at Camden. I am familiar with the hospital and getting a chance to talk to the students and the head of surgery there, I was very keen on it. As per your choice, consider your personal life carefully, but not finances only. It should be one among many of the issues you consider. If you will be happier somewhere else go there. If things are equal, then you can choose the cheaper option. Both of those school's have a better national reputation from what I gather and probably provide an excellent education. You can get any residency from any US school depending on how you do. It is much more about where you will be happiest. My non-solicited advice? Prioritize that which is most important to you in a medical school, see how they all stack up, and the answer should be clear.

It sounds like you want Case or Pitt, so resting on that assumption, I say go to one of those. In my decisions, I am always most scared of "what-if" later on, you don't want to face that in a few years. Also, I don't know how serious you are with your BF, but relationships are not always stable and what's the point of having your bf close if you hate school, not cause its bad, but cause you really wanted to go somewhere else? The price issue is not that big of a deal in the long run, as long as you are successful in the path you choose. Good luck to you.

I agree with hypersting. If your decision is solely based on bf/family, then you may have to live with that decision for the rest of your life and possibly regret it. And if your relationship with your bf is strong, then I think it will last long distance. It'll just be very tough, but if you both of you work hard to make it work, then it could last. And after all that, you'll have an even stronger relationship.

It seems like your gut feeling is telling you to go to Case. You don't wanna regret not having made that choice.

Anyways, I want to go RWJ also because of it's location in NJ and low cost. I plan on practicing in the northeast, and I know RWJ has a decent reputation in this area.

Kyauna80,

He have been together for nearly a year, but we are very serious. We hit a rough spot when I decided to go to Pitt, but we have settled things now. It was an incredibely stressful decision to make - believe me, many sleepless nights - but in the end, I realized that I would be unhappy here.

Personally, I am interested in emergency medicine and getting fellowship training in wilderness medicine or international health. The only EM residency associated with RWJ is the one in Camden, and it's not particularly good. On the other hand, Pitt's EM residency is one of the top in the country. So, after a LOT of thought and anxiety, I decided that for many reasons, Pitt was a better fit. I didn't apply to Case because... well, actually, I don't know why! Ha.

Good luck again... this is a tough choice. Just remember that these are YOUR four years, and medical school is very difficult. No matter where you go, you will learn essentially the same thing - but the experience you have can vary dramatically, and that can make a huge difference both for your future and, more importantly, your sanity :).

you don't want to make a life changing decision becuase of a boyfreind. i did that a while back and am still regrettin git. BAck then I htought I knew everything and I htought that I loved him and he was the one, but boy was I wrong.

If your relationship is strong, it will survive med school. Think of it this way, whether you are going to school fairly close to him or not, you will only have time to spend with him on weekends, so then the difference in location won't be as bad.

All those who are waiting for RWJ, there is now one more free spot. I just withdrew today. It was a hard choice between RWJ and Univ of Rochester, but I decided on the latter. Now I'm hoping I get my waitlisted #1 choice so that I can go there. But to all you waiting for RWJ, I wish you good luck!

Kramer sent out a mass e-mail yesterday asking waitlistees if they were still interested in maintaining their positions.

are you serious? i didnt get any email!!!

yeah I got the email today actually. Decided to get off the alternate list. Good luck to you guys!

I had gotten an email like that about 2 weeks ago but not one recently. Those that got the email, were you on the high proiority alternate list?

well,
with the way in which it was written I pretty much concluded it was a mass e-mail. guess I was wrong. And I was never told that I was on a high priority list just that I was on the alternate list and that I had a fairly good chance of getting pulled off sometime this summer. But, isn't that a tadbit generic? Everytime I call the admissions personel tell me my status almost verbatim from the last time I called--as if their reading it from a document. Anyone else have this feeling?

If you got that an e-mail there's probably a great chance you will get accepted. That e-mail seems to be a prelude to acceptance in many cases so far (at other schools as well). I suspect you are in the upper tier lakun and the email was only sent to the upper tier and up. Of course, this is all conjecture.

I recieved the email as well. I just called the admissions office and talked to Meryle and she said the top third of the list recieved the e-mail.

yes, kramer just informed me that I'm in the top tier.

I called Meryle Kramer also today, and was told i have a "pretty good chance" at getting off the list. However, I didn't get the mass email that was sent yesterday. I did get a mass email on May 17th asking if I wanted to stay on the list. Also, I'm on the high priority list.

So, I really think the adcom is really pulling our chains here. And I don't think that this mass email really signifies anything good or bad. Also, the adcom said the class is full and the waitlist is moving very very slowly.

That's all - I'm getting really frustrated with all this....

Give it time, Cimby. I just recieved my email this afternoon. I'm thinking they are still emailing people about it, because some recieved the email yesterday, but I didn't get mine until today.

I don't know if they are pulling our chains, but she seemed pretty straight forward with me. This is the second time I called the admissions office, the first time was right after I recieved the letter saying I had been waitlisted. At that time, they definitely did not give me a straight answer on where I was. But this time, she answered all of the questions in a sincere manner.

Just curious...did you all receive a mass email asking if you wanted to stay on the list before this one?

No, this is the first. In any case, I've only been on the alternate list for three weeks.

cimby said:
Just curious...did you all receive a mass email asking if you wanted to stay on the list before this one?

Not an email, just the original letter they sent out that asked if I wanted to stay on the waitlist. I also did not get the high priority waitlist letter, only the regular waitlist letter.

Thanks for the responses, guys! Good luck to you all...and please do post if you get off the waitlist.

Let SDN know if anyone of you get a phone call tonight. I'm beginning to get a little edgy here.

~

I'm thinking we won't hear anything until June 10th. That is the day in the email to which we had to respond on whether or not we wanted to remain on the waitlist. June 10th also happens to be a Thursday, so I'm just guessing here, but maybe they plan on meeting and pulling some people off?

Of course this may be wishful thinking on my part. :)

Good luck to the both of you as well. Hopefully we will be classmates!

Good luck, I hope your guys get offers soon, so maybe I can get one too... (not looking good, but oh well ...)

is there anyone who did not receive the email???

I just received the email today.

Yeah, I didn't receive the email today...but like I said before I got a similar email asking if I wanted to stay on the list on May 17th which it seems like others didn't.

My guess is they did the "high priority" reviews first and are now doing the top-third....but I have no idea. The adcom has been telling me that I have a good chance of getting off since before May 15th, so I'm starting to be a bit disbelieving now.

beponychick said:
is there anyone who did not receive the email???

I just received the email today.

i didn't receive it.

I received the e-mail and withdrew from the list. Good luck to everyone!

Just when I was starting to give up hope...I finally got the acceptance call!! Thanks for all the help getting here guys! Good luck to everyone still waiting and I hope to see you guys in a few months!

Congrats, Cimby!!!

I haven't received any e-mails from them. The only correspondence I got frm them after I was told I was waitlisted was a letter asking for a whole bunch of phone numbers they could reach me at if I still wished to remain on the waitlist. The first time I called I was told I had a good chance in getting off the lsit. Now every time I call it seems like my position gets lower and lower. I have no idea how that is possible.

I am getting so anxious already.

congrats, Cimby! :D Guess that means no June 10th turnover. Everyone else keep us posted.

lakun said:
congrats, Cimby! :D Guess that means no June 10th turnover. Everyone else keep us posted.

I still stick by the June 10th, because Cimby was in the high priority tier and we're in the first tier. :D

I hope its sooner and not later, because I'm going nuts. I feel like my entire life is in limbo.