Questions about Letter of Interest vs. Update Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eaandei

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My confusion stems from things I've heard from friends and online. I am aware of what both types of LOI's contain, however I am unsure of when it is sent. From what I have read, it is sent after you have been deferred or wait-listed. However, I've also been told that they should be sent by early October (now, when I have not received any status updates on my applications).

I wonder if this may be being confused with an update letter? Any clarification would be appreciated, as I know that in any regard, I should be reaching out to schools currently. Thanks!
 
A letter of interest is basically a letter that says hey, I'm still interested in going to the prom with you. They may be only worthwhile at the end of the application cycle if you have a waitlist spot there.

Keep in mind that most admissions Dean's treat them as lies

An update letter is to let the school know that you have made a significant addition to your application, such as a publication, a prestigious scholarship, or the addition of a large amount of extracurriculars like non clinical volunteering at a homeless shelter.