competitive MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmacstew

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHat would you say a good mcat score is to have to be competitive to set off a lower gpa???

Members don't see this ad.

How low is the lower GPA. The universal answer here is over 30 or 10 or better on each section.

depends on what your GPA is and what school you're applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
probably like 3.0 or so. But he will have at anywhere between 8 years as a medic or EMT-I in the army. He just got accepted to Physician Assistant school through the army, so if he takes that then he will have 5 years as medic and 4 years of PA. THat is the dilema right now, wheter or not to accept that slot. If he does, it is 2 years of school, and then 4 years of service he is obligated. If he doesn't take the slot then he has 4 more years of active duty, till he can get out to pursue medical school. Either way he is going to pursue it, however there will be a 2 year difference. He really only needs organic chem and physics, however he wants to take a year, to up his gpa. However the last 4 semesters including this one, he gpa has not fallen below a 3.6. So compared to what he did have, that is a major increase. He had to work 2 jobs during college to support himself, so he joined the army for the school money and look where he is today lol.
I think that is going to take the PA slot, just because if he doesn't then he will have to go to Iraq. We found out 3 days ago or so that he has to go, however we found out today that he got into PA school. Soooooo lol

an excellent goal to strive for is doubles on each section.

Lilmacstew i read about your story in a couple of other posts you wrote. I wanted to reply but my lack of time these days didn't allow. Anyway :

First of all the increase of his GPA is very important. As long as he is making progress in his grades then it's all good.

I think the choice comes down to him really. If he wants to go into med school as early as possible then he should go ahead with his 4 years. If he is in no rush then he should go after the PA program. Either way it's not going to hurt him.

I think with his positive grade increase through the past semesters and his work experience he will make a very strong applicant (provided that he does well on the MCATs).