Competitive Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I discovered EMRAmatch today - very cool webapp of EM programs. Decided to explore a little bit and learned about Alameda in Oakland. I was blown away by the pedigree that their youngest resident class boasts, given that it is a community program....on the other side of the bay.

Is Alameda considered a "competitive" residency program? The knowledge that EM is becoming a competitive residency application is humbling, and I'm trying to gain a stronger sense of what programs are generally considered the most competitive or would otherwise be a "reach" for most applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes.

Highland is technically a county program affiliated with UCSF SOM.

Generally speaking any CA program within an hour drive of the coast will be extremely competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
Is Alameda the same thing as Highland?

Highland has a very big name and is very competitive from what I know.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EM is middle of the road competitive.

All CA residencies are competitive... community and university alike.

If you don't have CA ties, you're going to need something to stand out.

Reactions: 1 users
Alameda is highland and is considered a premier EM program. And thus is very competitive

The knowledge that EM is becoming a competitive residency application is humbling, and I'm trying to gain a stronger sense of what programs are generally considered the most competitive or would otherwise be a "reach" for most applicants.

It's worth remembering that the competitiveness of a program is not always common knowledge and some programs may be competitive on a local level than on a national one. And some places are competitive solely because of where they are and not necessarily because they provide excellent training. And then there are some places people think are competitive because of the university they are associated with (I can think of one ivy-league EM program that people seem to think is competitive or good, yet it seems most residents in the program don't like it and would be somewhere else if they had the choice).

The program at which I trained is not mentioned frequently here as a competitive or "top" program. But having seen the step scores of my class and the subsequent 2 classes, I can say we are very competitive. And, as university-based health system in a major city with almost all specialties having a residency, we are towards the top insofar as board scores, etc. (we're up there with ortho and plastics). However, our pull is mostly local and folks wanting to come to the city due to proximity to family or because a significant other is already in the city.

And, regardless, there are places that are not that competitive, yet provide outstanding training. These places are usually in places no one really wants to be. With all this in mind, you should really rank programs by what you learn about them on interview and speaking with residents and student who have rotated. Your gut feeling and how well you meshed with the residents will go a long way. EM jobs are plentiful. You will have plenty of job opportunities even if you didn't graduate from In n Out BurgER residency.

Reactions: 1 user
All programs are competitive. I know multiple people with decent stats and are fun to be around that didn't match. Some programs are getting upwards of 1100-1300 apps for 8-10 spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's worth remembering that the competitiveness of a program is not always common knowledge and some programs may be competitive on a local level than on a national one. And some places are competitive solely because of where they are and not necessarily because they provide excellent training. And then there are some places people think are competitive because of the university they are associated with (I can think of one ivy-league EM program that people seem to think is competitive or good, yet it seems most residents in the program don't like it and would be somewhere else if they had the choice).

The program at which I trained is not mentioned frequently here as a competitive or "top" program. But having seen the step scores of my class and the subsequent 2 classes, I can say we are very competitive. And, as university-based health system in a major city with almost all specialties having a residency, we are towards the top insofar as board scores, etc. (we're up there with ortho and plastics). However, our pull is mostly local and folks wanting to come to the city due to proximity to family or because a significant other is already in the city.

And, regardless, there are places that are not that competitive, yet provide outstanding training. These places are usually in places no one really wants to be. With all this in mind, you should really rank programs by what you learn about them on interview and speaking with residents and student who have rotated. Your gut feeling and how well you meshed with the residents will go a long way. EM jobs are plentiful. You will have plenty of job opportunities even if you didn't graduate from In n Out BurgER residency.

Wow thats a bit concerning if its really that competitive! Would you PM me which institution you're talking about if you would rather not mention it?

All programs are competitive. I know multiple people with decent stats and are fun to be around that didn't match. Some programs are getting upwards of 1100-1300 apps for 8-10 spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What defines 'decent stats'?

It looks like someone with a 220 has a 90% chance to match. 180/200 applicants with Step 1 scores of 211-220 matched as well.
90% matched with a 231-240 CK. Even 81% matched with a 221-230 CK.

Hello. So Alameda (Highland is what people know it by) is a county program. One of the oldest in California, great reputation. If I had to say which CA programs are the most competitive, it would have to be USC, Highland, and Harbor UCLA. For EM, the "best" hospitals are not necessarily your best EM residencies, so definitely focus on the programs and your impression during interviews more than overall school ranking. Another thing to consider is just the richness of your training. Working at a county hospital may not be your life goal, but I truly believe that once you are trained in a county hospital, you are ready to work anywhere in EM. Highland itself is known to be very diverse, very intense, and just really really fantastic training. Location is pretty good too, but that's just a bonus.While all of the bay area is pretty nice, it is unfortunately very expensive, so all bay area programs come with housing stipends. UCSF is also a good program, PD and APD happen to be Highland grads!

I discovered EMRAmatch today - very cool webapp of EM programs. Decided to explore a little bit and learned about Alameda in Oakland. I was blown away by the pedigree that their youngest resident class boasts, given that it is a community program....on the other side of the bay.

Is Alameda considered a "competitive" residency program? The knowledge that EM is becoming a competitive residency application is humbling, and I'm trying to gain a stronger sense of what programs are generally considered the most competitive or would otherwise be a "reach" for most applicants.

Last edited:
Working at a county hospital may not be your life goal, but I truly believe that once you are trained in a county hospital, you are ready to work anywhere in EM.
I don't think you are necessarily saying this so I don't want to put words in your mouth. But there is this notion out there that "county training is the best training for EM". While I don't deny that the training at may county programs is excellent, I would strongly discourage people from entering the match with this "county or bust" mindset.

There is no "best" training. There is only training that fits with the type of learner you are. You should go where you feel you will get the best training, and where you mesh with the people. I rotated at 3 "big name" county programs, including Highland, during 4th year. I chose these programs because people told me they were "the best", whatever the heck that means. While I knew the residents were universally very strong and well trained, it wasn't the right fit for me and I ranked all 3 of those programs very low. Believe it or not there are cons to county programs as well.

I ended up going for a more combined academic/county experience that I felt was a better fit. While most county EM programs are universally considered prestigious I elected to maybe go less for the big name county place and went for somewhere else that felt right. And I honestly believe that I will be trained well enough to work anywhere I want when residency is all said and done.

In addition residency is partially what you make of it. The program can only do so much for you. If you show up to work everyday willing to learn, you can do very well irrespective of where you end up.

Reactions: 2 users