Competitive Step 1 and 2 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babycatcher2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a rising 4th year hoping to match in Ob/Gyn next year. I would like to apply to competitive programs in the Southeast. Does anybody know what a "competitive" Step 1 (and Step 2) score is for Ob/Gyn. And also if anybody knows the more competitive schools in the southeast. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

best schools? UAB, UAB, UAB!!! I can't wait to start!

What would you say competitive scores are? I did about the average on step 1 and then kicked butt on step 2 and go some pretty top notch interviews (including the program I matched at, yah Case!). I think its all subjective, but I'll weight in on my thoughts (which are no way meant to be the end all be all)

For "competitive" programs (whatever that means):
Step 1 score <210, then get 230 or higher on step 2
Step 1 score greater than 210-220, 220 or higher on step 2
Step 1 score greater than 230, then take step 2 whenever.

I think that's how you look at the competitive programs. At least that's what happened with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
For "competitive" programs (whatever that means):
Step 1 score <210, then get 230 or higher on step 2
Step 1 score greater than 210-220, 220 or higher on step 2
Step 1 score greater than 230, then take step 2 whenever.

I agree with OBGirlie's rough estimate as to scores; however, scores are not everything. Your class rank, AOA, letters of rec, research, OB rotation grades, extra-curriculars, etc. all affect your competitiveness. Whatever you do, I recommend applying to a range of programs so that you don't get stuck in March of next year. OB is not known as a particularly competitive specialty (although this year seemed to have stellar applicants). :) You don't want to find yourself scrambling because you were too selective initially.

I think the last I looked at Match Statistics, the avg Step I score for applicants matching in ObGyn was 220. Anything above that would make you competitive with all other supporting credentials being equally good. Keep in mind Step scores are not the bottom line but good indicator of ability to pass your boards which is major concern for PDs. Do your best and set up a meeting with your school's PD to discuss your individual competitiveness. Always apply to what you consider your reach schools because your application is considered as whole and it can't hurt to try. You never want to eliminate yourself, let them tell you nay.

Scores over 210-220 will definitely land you an interview at the very least. My experience has been that the interview itself is the most crucial factor! Get Iserson's Guide to Residency... and review the interview tips sections (i.e. possible questions, attire, etiquette). When interview season gets close, I will start a sticky where we can all add "interview questions" to a list for reference.

Best of luck!

I think you are probably a U.S. medical student, but in case you are not it is a different ball game if you are a foreign student. I went to a caribbean school and ended up with step 1 of 243 and step 2 of 261. There were quite a few programs that denied me an interview. Granted I still got many good interviews and matched my #1 spot that I am very happy with, but it goes to show you that they do look at the rest of your application, including where you go to school.

a few thoughts on steps from the residency director at my school (mid-tier for competitiveness i would guess):

scores are generally less important in ob than other surgical fields. for example, if you have an awesome application but a low step score, they will still interview (and rank) you here if they liked you... so apply anywhere you might want to go regardless of your scores.

step 2 is more important to her. step one is not correlated with your knowledge of patient care, so she doesn't really care about it. she's more impressed with a high step 2, so take it early if you can.

with regards to "good scores" i was told that >220 should make any sort of cutoff even at the top schools. On the flip-side 250+ doesn't necessarily guarantee you an interview/ranked spot because, in general, ob/gyn doesn't weight step scores as high.

As I look through some programs info, I notice that some have cut-offs for scores. Do you feel that if your application is strong (awesome research, strong LOR, etc.) other than a very moderate Step I score I should still apply to those programs. Some faculty at my school have told me to apply regardless of cutoffs, but I am hesitant to believe that.
Any vibes anyone else has gotten about programs with Step 1 score cut-offs?

What do you have to lose?

I would apply to your school of choice regardless of Step scores. There are programs that unfortunately due to overwhelming response end up screening by scores, so PD might never see your application. However, this changes from year to year from school to school depending on response they get. Worst case you get a rejection letter. At least you tried. You invested 100K+ on tuition, how much does it cost to apply to 20-30 programs of your choice?:idea:

Thanks Spittz.
I appreciate it. That was the direction I was leaning in, but I wanted to test the waters a bit and make sure I wasn't going to be throwing money down the drain.

I agree that > 230 is a competetive step one score for OB. That said, I saw a decent number of 240+ scores on applications last year. At my program, we interviewed people with a range of scores from ~average to the 250s. All else being equal, a high boards score was an impressive bonus during rank time. Applicants with lower scores had to stand out more in other ways. I agree that step 2 really should be given more weight, but it's not as useful because not everyone has taken it by application time and those who have may blow it off if they scored well on step 1.

I was most impressed by UAB and UNC for programs in the southeast. You might also want to check out UVA, Duke, and Emory.

Out of personal experience, I found that clinical grades far outweighed the importance of board scores. I had a very good Step 1 score (240+) but didn't get interviews at many "top" programs (UNC, Chicago, Michigan, Pittsburgh). I think that my straight-Commendables (with one Honor) during 3rd year really hurt me. So, all is not lost for those with less-than-amazing board scores.

Oh, I was also quite impressed with UAB's program. They're crazy busy, but the residents were a really great group.

I was curious if being a male applicant changes things at all. I am currently a fourth year and will be applying for OBGYN residency and I hear randomly a lot of programs are trying to encourage and get male applicants, however many a time i see programs that dont even accept one male, i guess it depends on the year, i was curious if being male makes any difference?

Last edited:
what about programs in northern california? which are the best programs in terms of training and what should i be aiming for as a boards score?

Last edited:
Does anyone know possible step 1 score for accepted residents?

I was curious if being a male applicant changes things at all. I am currently a fourth year and will be applying for OBGYN residency and I hear randomly a lot of programs are trying to encourage and get male applicants, however many a time i see programs that dont even accept one male, i guess it depends on the year, i was curious if being male makes any difference?

+1 I'm curious on this as well. it seems there's always this gender myth in ob/gyn but I've yet to hear from anyone that it really matters at all.

Every year there is a myth that if you are a male applicant that you are somehow more "desirable" for OB/Gyn residencies. Having been involved on both sides and as a rising chief I can tell you that your gender makes no impact on your competitiveness for ob/gyn.

What matters the most to us is that you have a strong academic record, a history of research, and whether or not we can see you fitting with the current residents and contributing meaningfully to the program. We want people with a strong work ethic who are pleasant to work with. I have had both men and women that fit this criteria, and members of both sexes who definitely do not!

Try not to worry about it... and don't let anyone get you down. :luck:

I'm sure that no program would lower their expectations in order to get a male instead of a female. However, I have been told directly from a couple of residency directors at strong programs that men are more desirable right now. Or at least that they would like to have one or two each year. I've also been told by applicants from last year that men are sometimes treated a little differently during interview days. Obviously just hearsay, but thought I'd pass it along. Also, the number of men applying is starting to rise again, so if there is some sort of bias, it may not last too many more years.