Aug 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi all, trying to scope out my competitiveness for academic anesthesia programs. Specifically wondering if I should do audition rotations and if so, how many? What types of programs realistically are within range for me?

DO student
Step 1: 237
Step 2: 252
Comlex Level 1/2: 650+
some anesthesia related research submitted and accepted for publication (not first author)
D1 college athlete

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
You have reasonable stats, an academic program is within reach. That being said do yourself a favor and take a look at some programs you are interested in - see if they have any DOs in the pipeline, even if it's only a couple that can be a big hint about your ability to break in. This is easily found by looking at their website. Do not bother doing an away at a program without any DOs, you can apply but your chances are slim even with the best application out there.

There may be some regional "bias" (not sure if that's the right word to use) at play at well, I do not know if you will have as much of a shot in the northeast. My program took high-level DO applicants in the southeast, as did some other surrounding programs.

I'll let others give input on "audition" rotations. I've found it may be helpful if you are a marginal candidate, but to be honest it can be difficult to stand out and show your stuff during an Anesthesiology elective.

Reactions: dchz
About the Ads