Competiveness of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hines302 said:
I know Ohio State University has a whole curriculum built around Practice Management. In fact at my interview we watched a 15 minute video exactly describing the problem that Mr. Chudner pointed out. They state that they realized this problem about 5 years and as a result have inserted about 8 or so business course into their program. In fact, they even bring over Business Professors from OSU's Fisher College of Business to teach a lot of these courses... in an effort to steer graduates away from retail optometry... and give them the tools they need to be successful in private practice. They really tried to drive this point home both when I visited the school and when I interviewed there. They said this type of program was unique to OSU.

I know it sounds good on paper... (i know i don’t do it justice)... but if it actually works is a different story.

This is one of the main reasons I am considering OSU. The problem is that I would be about 30K more in debt after the 4 years than if I went to my instate school (MCO). OSU is a great school as well... and even offers a combined OD/MS program that I would love to take advantage of. The only problem is trying to figure out if its worth the extra 30K in debt??? Any advice??

Hey Hines,

Here's my advice. I wouldn't let 30K deter you away from a program that you are interested in. I feel that in the long run, 30K seems like a lot, but isn't enough to drive you away from one school or another. Now if we were talkin 75K or more, then I think there would be an issue on hand. Go to the school that you think will give you the best education possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Hines302 said:
I know Ohio State University has a whole curriculum built around Practice Management. In fact at my interview we watched a 15 minute video exactly describing the problem that Mr. Chudner pointed out. They state that they realized this problem about 5 years and as a result have inserted about 8 or so business course into their program. In fact, they even bring over Business Professors from OSU's Fisher College of Business to teach a lot of these courses... in an effort to steer graduates away from retail optometry... and give them the tools they need to be successful in private practice. They really tried to drive this point home both when I visited the school and when I interviewed there. They said this type of program was unique to OSU.

I know it sounds good on paper... (i know i don’t do it justice)... but if it actually works is a different story.

This is one of the main reasons I am considering OSU. The problem is that I would be about 30K more in debt after the 4 years than if I went to my instate school (MCO). OSU is a great school as well... and even offers a combined OD/MS program that I would love to take advantage of. The only problem is trying to figure out if its worth the extra 30K in debt??? Any advice??

From what I have heard an MS will help you if you plan on going into any type of Academia. I'm an OD/MS student at UAB and we have a grant that we get once we have worked so many hours in the lab. It's not a lot, but it sure helps! You should ask if OSU has anything like that. It could help lower the difference in cost. Another option for an MS, is that some of the residency programs will let you go 2 years instead of one and get an MS along with your residency. I know Houston will.

To me it sounds like you know what you want. If you are willing to make sacrifices in other areas money wise, then go for it. :) Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

vtrain said:
By respect, I mean respect from strangers and casual aquaintances - this type of respect is fleeting and should mean very little. However, respect from your colleagues, patients, family and close friends is definitely important as they know the QUALITY of your work and what you actually do for the most part.

No , I wouldn't go back in time and change things. Opto school was one of the best times of my life.

MD school is much harder than OD school, simply by the sheer volume of material. However the material in OD school is conceptually more difficult. Any monkey can eventually memorize the classical complement pathway, but trying to figure out the 4th order aberration of blah, blah, blah in optics is completely another task. But if there's one thing that you should know is that MD school is also waaaaay overated. Hell, somedays I think medicine itself is waaaay overated.

Thanks for your reply and insight into med school. It doesn't seem like i was so far off :scared: i could make more predictions, but don't want to be accurate (right) and come off as unprofessional. :thumbdown:

xmattODx said:
Wow where do I start? I'm going to ignore the tone of the questions and give ucbsowarrior the benefit of the doubt despite the demeaning and unprofessional manner (s)he addresses those on this forum.

Would I do optoemtry school again? Yes, in a heartbeat. It was what I needed to get where I am today. I enjoy optometry.

Was optometry school the best time of my life? Yes and no. Life does nothing but get better.

Can I be a good buisness person? Yes.
Will I have a successful practice? Time will tell.

I've never said I don't like optometry. I've never said optometry is too boring. I could go into my life story that will explain why I'm at public health school but that is beyond the scope of this thread. If you think optometry is boring imagine epidemiology and biostatistics. Snoooze!

I won't go into the VT comments because they are unwarranted and ucbsowarrior is looking for a fight. I did have a lot to add to my students education. I could mentor fourth year students. I am still learning. I expect to still be learning 35 years from now.

i spit out the truth and forecast the best that i can. i like playing these games where i try to figure you out...b/c most of you are just some simpleton that thinks of themselves as a higher order thinker....which is the farthest thing from the truth for most of you on this site. i'm glad you guys try to help one another, but you guys try to go about it in some political correct way. i lay it on the line and give you the powerslam. i too can take the powerslam with a smile :smuggrin: i can deal with the truth, most of you cannot.

As to you doing od school again. I know you would do it again, but like i said the fat lady had to sing. i know you enjoy optometry, but there are many aspects of optometry that you were unaware of until you graduated. you are just a pawn in a game, that has many more powerful players... maybe in the future you'll find a small little niche build yourself a practice....and you would've escaped corporate optometry, but just remember that your old corporate od position was not left vacated. it was filled by another sucker...b/c there's so many suckers out there fighting for your little crumb. so is the world a better place when you get your own private practice??? not really. the world is just a better place for you, but not the profession as a whole...as your spot has just been filled by another corporate soldier.....but that doesn't bother you, b/c your life would be better.....so, until you move onto the next stage of your career, you are just slave to corporate optometry who has fallen victim to a game....isn't it sad :sleep: i know you want to make the world a better place, but you can't really have any macro effect. focus on impacting the lives of your patients, (and not the industry.)

Can you be a good business person? depends on how much reality you can deal with...and how much you can learn in the next few years. being a good business person may make your business succeed, but may not make you the happiest person. if i were you i'd stay the way you are and try to focus on a balanced life and being happy. good business people have to make plenty of tough choices and from your post i don't think your ready for those tough choices.

I think you can have a success practice.

As to VT, I believe in you in this area and believe you are more than qualified to train 4th yr students in VT, but you are not trained to mentor them on what lies ahead in their career, b/c you still lack the foresight at this stage of your own career. (i wasn't referring to vt in my original comment).

i believe you will still be learning in 35 yrs, b/c you learn at a slow rate (but not as slow as many on this forum)

HOLLYWOOD said:
well I agree with xmattodx, and I have 9 years of experience and three practices. so i must say you are off base.

Hollywood you sound like quite the successful guy and that a lot of students would benefit from the knowledge that you have...but you would never be able to teach at an optometry school...b/c half the stuff you do would put the profession in disrepute. you are not what they consider a role model optomterist and you do many underhanded tactics in your day to day operations. you can come back and flame me, but i know i'm accurate...and let us not forget that when you attended nova, it was barely a school that was accredited....i remember this friend of mine who applied...it was a joke...2.67 gpa, 290 OAT and no od shadowing at all...got in....but that was a long time ago. i'm sure nova in the present time is a fine school, but it was considered a joke in the past. you might be the exception to the joke. :smuggrin:

Opii said:
Hey Homies,
ucbsowarrior sometimes gets shy (yea right) and doesn't answer questions directed at him. So I'll take a guess... He's been in the business about 20 years.

Hey dude close call, but your off by a factor of 2x's to 8x's. :thumbdown:

Ben Chudner said:
Out of curiosity, when did you graduate ucbsowarrior? You have some very interesting obervations, so it would be interesting to know if you had these right out of school or did it take years to become this way.

it didn't take me more than 1 year to become this way...i was transforming even in my school years...it was horrible :D i'm just sad school had to end, b/c i was partying hard back in the days !!!

As another member of the forum quoted that this was the best post ever....here we go again...

"The optometry industry is like the entertainment business. Many aspiring actors and actresses goto hollywood to become famous. Some become stars, but many more end up waiting tables, working in nightclubs or staring in adult films. The irony of life is often all too sad."