Compiled Podiatry Salary Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought this would be helpful:

2004 Jack & Harris Salary Survey

Podiatrist (General)
Northeast: $172,063.00
Southeast: NA
West: NA
Midwest: $137,708.00

Podiatrist (Surgery, Foot & Ankle)
Northeast: $191,409.00
Southeast: $170,909.00
West: NA
Midwest: Na

Source: http://jacksonandharris.com/physicians/salarytool.aspx

2004 Allied Physicians Salary Survey

Podiatry
Years 1-2: $128,000
Years 3+: $168,000
Max: $292,000

Source: http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm

2004 AMGA Medical Group Compensation and Financial Survey

Podiatrist (General)
All: $154,784
East: $130,934
West: $185,362
South: $168,563
North: $153,179

Podiatrist (Surgical)
All: $169,427
East: NA
West: $167,098
South: $150,493
North: $190,590

Source: http://www.cejkasearch.com/compensation/amga_midlevel_compensation_survey.htm

Members don't see this ad.

On the CDRom that I was sent from the APMA says the average salary for a podiatrist was 279,000. Also, all the pods that I have spoken with say the internet and other averages are very low and not accurate because they include military and residents. That a surgical podiatrist should be making around the 200's and on up with more and more experience. Any thoughts on that information? Is the APMA boosting their stats to apeal to more people and the podiatrists that I spoke too, are they just the very successful ones and arent talking about the average?

Dmayor22 said:
On the CDRom that I was sent from the APMA says the average salary for a podiatrist was 279,000. Also, all the pods that I have spoken with say the internet and other averages are very low and not accurate because they include military and residents. That a surgical podiatrist should be making around the 200's and on up with more and more experience. Any thoughts on that information? Is the APMA boosting their stats to apeal to more people and the podiatrists that I spoke too, are they just the very successful ones and arent talking about the average?

The averages you see online will always be off, so take them as a grain of salt. As for $279,000 being the average for podiatrists, are you referring to surgical pods? That seems a high for an average, but then again, I'm not too familiar with podiatrists' salaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
how come more people aren't going into podiatry? I ssounds pretty good=good pay, less stress than MD, less work. it says average pod making ~$172,000. Thats about the amount a family practice doc makes! So why aren't more people going into podiatry? It seems like a laid back version of the MD with the same financial benefits. no pun intended.

HailToTheThielf said:
how come more people aren't going into podiatry? I ssounds pretty good=good pay, less stress than MD, less work. it says average pod making ~$172,000. Thats about the amount a family practice doc makes! So why aren't more people going into podiatry? It seems like a laid back version of the MD with the same financial benefits. no pun intended.

Prestige

HailToTheThielf said:

I believe that the majority of pre-meds out there are lacking exposure to other health professions. Almost every freshmen in undergraduate science classes claim to be a "pre-med," not knowing anything about what the field entails. While speaking to a pre-med a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised that she didn't know what Osteopathic medicine was... and that pertains to the same field that she is vying for! "Pre-meds" need to start looking at all their options before they claim something that they know nothing about.

Another reason may be prestige. For instance: many pre-meds use to hate on the field of dentistry, portraying dentists as mere tooth-mechanics, only to find themselves rushing to apply to dental schools after they saw that their glorious medical field was being clamped down by HMOs.

However, many people truely don't know what they want to specialize in as of yet, and in that sense, medical school is the best option for them. Fields such as optometry, dentistry, podiatry, etc. are all specialized fields within the realm of medicine, so you best know what you are getting yourself into!

I am so THRILLED to be a podiatry student!!! For the life of me, I can't understand why most pre-meds aren't heading this way!?! Too bad for them and more benefits for me :laugh:

I agree w/B83, most people just don't know about the profession. I had to practically pry out of my college counselor! It's great pay, awesome hours, it is very prestigious (don't believe the internet rumors :rolleyes: ) and most importantly, you get to help people. Who could ask for anything more?

Reactions: 1 user