Completing pre-reqs summer before matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

i was wondering, do schools allow for a student to complete pre-reqs the summer before matriculation? i.e. matriculate sept 2009 but complete the pre-req may-june 2009.

if so, does it depend on each individual school?? i realized my school has second year chemistry without a lab, and i might need to take it at another university during the summer to fulfill the pre-req, although i'm applying for this application cycle (2009).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi,

i was wondering, do schools allow for a student to complete pre-reqs the summer before matriculation? i.e. matriculate sept 2009 but complete the pre-req may-june 2009.

if so, does it depend on each individual school?? i realized my school has second year chemistry without a lab, and i might need to take it at another university during the summer to fulfill the pre-req, although i'm applying for this application cycle (2009).

Thanks!

Really depends on the school. All schools will want you to complete the pre-reqs prior to matriculation, obviously. I would suggest calling the admissions office and checking, and explaining your situation to them. They will let you know what you should do!

do you know if there's a penalty for taking 4.0 credits instead of 5.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
bump
do you think it's bad to take pre-req courses (i.e. chm) as credit/no credit courses? i don't need these for my major, and would only be taking it for med school. i know they're pretty tough courses so i don't want to risk my GPA by taking them...

bump
do you think it's bad to take pre-req courses (i.e. chm) as credit/no credit courses? i don't need these for my major, and would only be taking it for med school. i know they're pretty tough courses so i don't want to risk my GPA by taking them...

You aren't honestly considering taking the prerequisites pass/fail are you? These courses aren't just meaningless hoops that med schools want you to jump through; they have a purpose. They are used to help determine whether you can handle the rigors of being a med student, and to take them pass/fail would be shooting yourself in the foot. Even if med schools accepted the courses pass/fail, they'd have no reason to believe in your ability to be successful because you wouldn't have anything to show for yourself in terms of grades.

saqrfaraj is right - you should thoroughly understand your chemistry before you go into med school. I heard biochem is killer for most students who don't fully understand chemistry or who didn't take biochem in their undergrad.

If you're just taking chemistry lab, you should be fine if you explain your situation, like AdmiralChlz had suggested.

What I'm wondering, though, is how could you have taken Organic Chemistry Lab without Chem II lab?