Composite Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me exactly what a composite letter of recommendation is?

Sorry for the dumb question-I just need clarification on this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

alparkeruab said:
Can someone please explain to me exactly what a composite letter of recommendation is?

Sorry for the dumb question-I just need clarification on this topic.

If you are referring to a composite committee letter, then it is a composite of all your letters of recommendation (e.g.: a summary) which may or may not include tidbits from an interview by your pre-med committee.

For example, at my school, we need at least 3 LORs. We do an interview with one of the MD faculty, and they then write a committee letter that talks about you as a person (from the interview) and puts in the main points from the other LORs. They also attach your LORs to this committee letter, and thus acts kinda like a cover sheet.

relentless11 has it correct -- just know that not all undergrad schools do this, mine didn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our school is slightly different.... just the pre-med advisor writes the summary based on at least four LORs and then sends copies of the originals too. So the composite letter seems a little unnecessary to me.

I had all the letters sent to my premed advisor. She composed a summary letter along with her thoughts as well. She then sent the original letters along with the summary.

I would probably call up my premed advisor and ask him/her if your school has such a service. It's not a problem if it doesn't, but you need to know.