Computer Recommendations for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLoveLearn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get a new computer for medical school, which I will be attending in the Fall. I'm wondering if any current med students have recommendations for what computers are best?

For instance, I currently have a Mac, but would like OneNote, which isn't available for them. Additionally, have people found touch-screens to be helpful for writing notes directly on PowerPoints, while keeping it in an electronic format?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am planning to get a new computer for medical school, which I be attending in the Fall. I'm wondering if any current med students have recommendations for what computers are best?

For instance, I currently have a Mac, but would like OneNote, which isn't available for them. Additionally, have people found touch-screens to be helpful for writing notes directly on PowerPoints, while keeping it in an electronic format?

Get an iPad! Certain apps like Netter's and Thieme through modalityBODY make it well worth it. It has been a lifesaver throughout my first year.

Some people have been able to replace a computer with their iPad. I didn't really like it. However, I would absolutely suggest getting an iPad for the apps. Netter's app is the bomb and inkling is an awesome place to get your text books. Consider running parallels on your Mac, then you can run any program you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get an iPad! Certain apps like Netter's and Thieme through modalityBODY make it well worth it. It has been a lifesaver throughout my first year.

Some people have been able to replace a computer with their iPad. I didn't really like it. However, I would absolutely suggest getting an iPad for the apps. Netter's app is the bomb and inkling is an awesome place to get your text books. Consider running parallels on your Mac, then you can run any program you want.

What about a MacBook Pro + iPad combo?

forgive me if this is a dumb question. I was thinking about getting an iPad. I probably will soon. How much do some of those apps cost?

P.S. @ 1Cor1311...love the sig

forgive me if this is a dumb question. I was thinking about getting an iPad. I probably will soon. How much do some of those apps cost?

If I remember right, I got the Netter app for $60. The books on inkling are typically slightly cheaper than buying the book new. In general, the apps are kinda expensive. But, I feel it is well worth it to spend the money to have everything I need in an interactive format in something as small and light as the iPad. A lot of people that don't want to spend the money just get PDF versions, but I have never liked those.

Easily a ThinkPad. The X Series or the T series. Avoid the ThinkPad Edge series as thats a cheapo version.

I will never buy a non-thinkpad laptop ever again.

Yes exactly.

As well. Convert all ppt's to pdf's, use something like GoodReader (plus Dropbox) to access the pdf's of all class notes/slides on iPad and annotate as needed using stylus. On my iPad I have access to an entire library of textbooks (via institutional subscription to AccessMedicine plus Inkling for most important/everyday texts) and every lecture/note that has ever been given to us.

I worked as a computer repair tech. While iPads are awesome, they were never meant to replace an actual, physical computer. The operating system of an iPad is not powerful enough to do multitasking (fully run two applications at once), for example.

You are better off having both a laptop in combination with an iPad. For support and continuity, you would be best with an iPad (w/ retina display-much easier to read texts), a Macbook Air, and an iPhone.

With my iPad, I got a Lifeproof nuud case, which has a thick bezel. So when taking notes-with a Pogo Connect stylus (there may be better ones out since when I got it in December), my hands do not get on the screen. This makes writing notes on the iPad feasible. It is like writing on a blackboard, although it does take a little bit of practice before you just "whip it out" in class.

I read my textbooks on my iPad. I usually scan them in to PDF myself. I just go to Kinko's, get the binding cut for like $1. Then I scan the book using a normal scanner-page by page-on the platten in 600 DPI (dots per inch). Afterwards I convert it to PDF. My friends are amazed by the quality.

Also, most of the OneNote capabilities are built in to Microsoft Word for Mac. You just need to google. If this is unsuitable, I am sure there is a decent replacement in the Mac App store.

Anyways, the point is to do your research and find a suitable setup for you.

I am planning to get a new computer for medical school, which I will be attending in the Fall. I'm wondering if any current med students have recommendations for what computers are best?

Will your school provide you with an Ipad?

For what it's worth you might like alternatives to the Ipad. I really like my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Unlike the ipad I can multitask, clip pictures using the given stylus, etc. And from what I have looked into, there really isn't any medical apps for Apple that you can't get on Android. fwiw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easily a ThinkPad. The X Series or the T series. Avoid the ThinkPad Edge series as thats a cheapo version.

^This. I've been doing some research into convertibles (laptop/tablet sort of thing). Thinkpad is the solution. There's a new one coming out in April. Thinkpad Helix. Look into it. Otherwise thinkpad x230t, ideapad yoga13/11, and other models look decent.

I've tried note taking on Ipad. It's not bad, but I can't write without putting my wrist on it. And that's not happening.

^This. I've been doing some research into convertibles (laptop/tablet sort of thing). Thinkpad is the solution. There's a new one coming out in April. Thinkpad Helix. Look into it. Otherwise thinkpad x230t, ideapad yoga13/11, and other models look decent.

I've tried note taking on Ipad. It's not bad, but I can't write without putting my wrist on it. And that's not happening.

I have a case with a thick enough bezel to rest my wrist on. It is the Lifeproof nuud case. It is expensive, though.

I have a case with a thick enough bezel to rest my wrist on. It is the Lifeproof nuud case. It is expensive, though.

In that case, ipad shud be pretty awesome too.

Can't go wrong with Lenovo. Bad A** products that will last. Might not be as cool as a Mac Book but I wouldn't buy anything else.

Survivor DO

Best combo would probably be a macbook air and an iPad, but if I had to choose between an iPad or a macbook air, I'd go with only the macbook. I have a macbook pro, but would honestly prefer to have the air because its smaller, lighter, and has a longer battery life. There really is no point in having the 'pro' specs in medical school, at least not at the expense of the benefits of the air.

A techie that I know is recommending the Lenovo Helix to me for when I start. 10 hours of battery life, the best of both laptop and tablet worlds. Also a stylus that can be used to write on the screen and you don't need to worry about resting your hand on the screen while you write.

He is going to have one as a demo model when they first come out and he will show it to me is I can be impressed with it before I start school in August.

BTW, the 10 hours of battery is important to me because the school I am matriculating to does not open the new building for another year, so I will be in an old lecture hall for one year. There are no power outlets available to charge mid-lecture. Any electronics MUST have a long battery life.

Also note, I am writing this on my iPad, and a MacBook Pro is sitting on the table next to me. It would be a good combination if I wanted to make it work.

dsoz

Really surprised at the number of recommendations for MacBooks and iPads.

Really interesting.

Whats interesting about it? Windows 8 is an absolute joke.

Im waiting until june to buy a macbook, supposedly the update is due for mid june

A Macbook pro is overpriced and you can get a much better computer for the same cost. Ipads are useful for taking notes and going through PDFs but you definitely need a laptop. But it's not as if you'll be doing graphic design or playing Crysis. There's no need to drop 1.2k on a laptop, especially if you're taking out student loans.

Last edited:

Right back at you victoralpha :)

A techie that I know is recommending the Lenovo Helix to me for when I start. 10 hours of battery life, the best of both laptop and tablet worlds. Also a stylus that can be used to write on the screen and you don't need to worry about resting your hand on the screen while you write.

He is going to have one as a demo model when they first come out and he will show it to me is I can be impressed with it before I start school in August.

BTW, the 10 hours of battery is important to me because the school I am matriculating to does not open the new building for another year, so I will be in an old lecture hall for one year. There are no power outlets available to charge mid-lecture. Any electronics MUST have a long battery life.

Also note, I am writing this on my iPad, and a MacBook Pro is sitting on the table next to me. It would be a good combination if I wanted to make it work.

dsoz

I've been waiting on the thinkpad helix to come out. As long as it's priced reasonably I'll be getting one.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Whats interesting about it? Windows 8 is an absolute joke.

Im waiting until june to buy a macbook, supposedly the update is due for mid june

Who says you have to use Windows 8? Get a computer that comes with Win 7, or install Win 7 over Win 8. Or be a real man and install a Linux distro.

I just looked up the Helix and I dont see how that can be beat for functionality. Seriously tho, how did people learn anything before 15 years ago?

Can't go wrong with Lenovo. Bad A** products that will last. Might not be as cool as a Mac Book but I wouldn't buy anything else.

Survivor DO

If you go the pc route and not Mac, then it's a no brainer to get a Lenovo.
My think pad has survived my wife and my 4 y/o so far.
I gave one to my brother and its still up and running( now that's a testament of durability!).
Anyway. Another vote for Lenovo here.

What's an ideal screen size for a laptop in medical school?

Nobody has commented on the fact that it's starting at $1499.

For that you can get a Macbook with great specs, or a combination of a T-series and Galaxy samsung, or whatever else.

Does anyone think that $1499 is a good price? The storage isn't that great, neither is the processor.

**I'm not a computer nerd, but this is just from comparing prices/specs with other computers, so if I'm wrong please correct me because I would love to buy this computer guilt-free- if this makes any sense.

Since you already have a MacBook, there's really no need to get a new computer unless your computer is crapping out. I have a 2008 MacBook (the first aluminum body one) and it still works like new, and I haven't had any problems using it in med school except for one time, when we had a radiology program to use during anatomy that wasn't compatible with Mac, but I just used it on a school computer and it was no problem. Other than that, it's been perfect.

I have an iPad 2, and I really like that for viewing powerpoints (via Notability) and taking notes with a stylus. I can also watch lecture podcasts, although at this point we are unable to speed up the lectures on iOS. The Netter's app was absolutely indispensable for anatomy, and I preferred it over using a book, because you can zoom in, delete the labels and lines that you don't need to study (which clears up some of the pictures a lot, since some have like 50 labels and lines), and there is a quiz feature. Quizlet is a really nice app, too, and you can make flashcards on the computer and use them on your iPad or iPhone. And Google Drive is quite nice for iPad.

If you really have your heart set on a new computer, I'd go with the ThinkPad (and eliminate the need for an iPad) or a MacBook Air + iPad. I love my Apple products, but the price for a MacBook Pro nowadays is outrageous. But if I were you, I'd keep using the Mac and get an iPad.

Bottom line you want processing power at least a core i5 with midrange speed, and you really have to go for solid state regardless of Mac/PC. Hybrid drives are good options, you just can't pass up on the read/write rate that SSD can give you, everything just feels snappy. Only downside is less space.

Memory, don't go under 6GB, 8 is your best bet.

Graphics, skimp and save money if you don't need it. Any card right now can handle HD vids etc.

high res screens are always a +

OP---go to Lenevos Site, customize the bottom end T430 Laptop. The Base Price should be 703.12.

Keep the i5 processor,
Keep Windows 7 Home Premium (or do Windows 8 for free if you like it),
Keep "None" for Productivity Software,
Upgrade the monitor to 1600x900
Keep the Graphics as the Intel HD4000,
Upgrade to 8 gigs RAM,
Keep the UltraNav without FingerPrinter reader,
Keep the 320g gig harddrive at 7200rpm,
Upgrade to the 90W AC Adaptor

Walah--you now have an amazing thinkpad for $817.52 + tax.

Worthwhile upgrades,
I'd upgrade from the 6 cell to 9 cell for 50 bucks

Use ShopDiscover to get 5% back, and you got a great machine for about 900 out the door.

Go to Squaretrade, get a quote for a 3 year warranty, obtain a 40% off coupon, and now you have a 3 year warranty for about 150.

$1150 nags you a well equipped ThinkPad + 3 year warranty.

OR

You could buy a Macbook pro 13 inch for 1200,
Get 4 gigs ram (less than ThinkPad)
get 500 gigs of harddrive (higher storate than T-Pad but lower speed)
Backlit Keyboard,
1 year warranty I believe
but you get to join the elite club of MacBook Pro Users (-__-)

Good Luck

You could buy a Macbook pro 13 inch for 1200,
Get 4 gigs ram (less than ThinkPad)
get 500 gigs of harddrive (higher storate than T-Pad but lower speed)
Backlit Keyboard,
1 year warranty I believe
but you get to join the elite club of MacBook Pro Users (-__-)

Good Luck

Nothing wrong with the MacBook Pro. Yeah it's expensive, but I have never had a problem with my MacBook (over 5 years old). If I were to get a windows laptop, it would def be a thinkpad. But I enjoy OS X and the overall Apple ecosystem experience, so my laptop choice for med school is a MacBook Pro plus maybe the iPad.

And specs aren't everything, it's how the operating system uses it.

Nothing wrong with the MacBook Pro. Yeah it's expensive, but I have never had a problem with my MacBook (over 5 years old). If I were to get a windows laptop, it would def be a thinkpad. But I enjoy OS X and the overall Apple ecosystem experience, so my laptop choice for med school is a MacBook Pro plus maybe the iPad.

And specs aren't everything, it's how the operating system uses it.

You are correct and OP should def be aware of that.

I am personally of the opinion that Windows 7 > OSX, so my post has that assumption.
If you are more comfortable with OSX--Def go with it.

No. "Voila"

Solid post otherwise :thumbup: :smuggrin:

Dang--my attempt to be sweet is ruined ;)

I have a macbook pro, but I also installed windows 7 on it, so I have the best of both worlds. Really easy to do and you can get windows 7 on the cheap from your school.

This is the only time I've heard of Asus, but based on it alone... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

in-bed-anus.jpg

Also, team ASUS if you're not interested in Macs. Have had great success with my previous ASUS comps

You can rest your wrist while writing on the thinkpad?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

You can rest your wrist while writing on the thinkpad?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Yes. It has an active digitizer so it can tell difference between hand and pen input.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there apps for the ipad that allow you to rest your hand on it while still being able to write notes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there apps for the ipad that allow you to rest your hand on it while still being able to write notes?

I believe there are. They tend to have some sort of software tweaks and you set a boundary of the screen where you rest your wrist and the app knows to ignore those inputs.

But an active digitizer is much better in my opinion for a few reasons. The pen communicates with the screen and the tablet can judge the proximity of the stylus and then cease to detect touch input when writing. This makes for smoother, fool proof palm rejection.

The stylus nibs can be thin like a real pen, instead of the bulb type stylus used on most touchscreens. So it feels more natural to write, more accurate and is also very smooth.

Sent from my Galaxy S2