Computer Science Vs Medicine, which makes more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I disagree. It's fairly easy to break six figures with just a bachelor's in computer science. Software engineers are in high demand these days with short supply. 80k+ right after graduation is quite doable. With each year of experience you can easily break 100k at mid-size companies.

You also have the option of starting your own company if you have a solid idea and get big $$ real fast.

IMO medicine and comp sci are two fields that cannot be compared on salary alone.

Haha, wat?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29408064/Highest_Paid_Bachelor_s_Degrees_2010?slide=8

The majority of programmers are not working at Google btw. Also the whole tech field is pretty volatile, with massive #s of jobs going overseas (aka layoffs). I dont think it is safe to assume you will be with the same company for more than 5 years, which means you likely will be taking a pay cut.

Also speaking as a programmer myself...it is not a 9-5 job by any stretch of the imagination. The people who are making big dollar figures are working 60+ hours a week. Also there is "call" too, if your system goes down on Friday night at 9pm, you dont get to wait till Monday morning to fix it. Just sayin...

Members don't see this ad.

One of my freind has a PhD in computer science. His wife is a doctor. She doesn't practice any more since he makes enough to meet their needs and desires.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but wouldn't it be better to think in terms of dollars per hour? Opportunity cost is being excluded here and also I think there are probably other factors to consider, such as malpractice insurance, average vacation time, etc.

EDIT: But, I also agree that it's likely impossible to directly compare the two and a decision to go into medicine or computer science can't be based on the financial aspect of it alone. Whether one is better than the other is subjective and depends what a persons wants/doesn't want in terms of a career (time with family, financial security, challenging work, interfacing). It also probably depends on your ability/comfort to communicate directly with other people whether one-on-one, as a group, and so on. Part of medicine is advocacy and spreading awareness of wellness and specific diseases. Then again, I'm no expert on the subject.

Last edited:
Computer science graduates are in extremely high demand right now. You can earn a $100-150k salary right after college without the need to go into $250k+ debt and spend 8+ years in medical school and residency, and sometimes you can even get hired without a degree if you have the right skills. Some software developers can contract for $100+/hour.