Computers for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njshibby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to med school right now I had been planning on waiting if/when i go to med school to buy a computer but the computer I have now had other plans and now won't turn on..so I was wondering if people had reccomendations on what type of computer to buy or if any med schools required particular types of computers (tablet, non-mac)? I think I'm leaning towards either a tablet with keyboard or one of those shiny macbooks. appreciate the help

Members don't see this ad.

njshibby said:
I'm applying to med school right now I had been planning on waiting if/when i go to med school to buy a computer but the computer I have now had other plans and now won't turn on..so I was wondering if people had reccomendations on what type of computer to buy or if any med schools required particular types of computers (tablet, non-mac)? I think I'm leaning towards either a tablet with keyboard or one of those shiny macbooks. appreciate the help

I am pretty sure requirements depend on the school. When I looked at LE-COM they were required to get a laptop and they did not rec. Macs. PCOM doesn't have any kind of requirement at all. Some places give you a computer as part of tuition. I'd look through the websites of places you are applying and see if you can find something common.... Sorry, I know this doesn't help much.

University of South Carolina SOM requires a laptop, and then a PDA for third and fourth year. One school I saw highly recommends you buy a Dell through them, because they can provide support, and it fits all the qualifications they require. Like the previous poster said... check with the school's website and see what they recommend/require.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to get a laptop, then I highly suggest looking at a Tablet PC. Quite versatile. They do cost bit more, but I love being able to download my notes right before class and then add on any extra pieces of info during lecture. The Fujitsu T4210 is my personal fav.

Just a heads-up, I'd at least consider getting your computer serviced before giving up and buying a new one. A computer not turning on at all is often a sign of a dead power supply, which is pretty easily fixable.

Any comments on the Mac Book Pros? Allegedly there should be no problems running ANY Windows based software now that there's a dual boot option. Very new so I guess I'm not surprised if no one's tried it out yet.

A computer not turning on at all is often a sign of a dead power supply, which is pretty easily fixable.
It's a mac and says to reboot before even starting to load the OS batteries been dead for a while now...it's over 4 years old now and I'm kinda sick of it...the money it would cost to fix it wouldnt be worth it...i think i'm leaning towards the mac book pro i've seen it run windows and its smoooth and i prefer doing most everything on a mac..just wish they had the tablet functionality would make taking notes on slides much easier

Hi there,
This is a duplicate thread to one in Allopathic and therefore I am closing. Feel free to respond to the thread in Allopathic. :)
njbmd

Status
Not open for further replies.