computers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bomikepa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools lets you choose which computer to bring or do they MAKE you buy a specific one?

i really want to bring my mac.........i could install windows on it if it came down to it but i wanted to make sure there were no physical hardware requirements found only on pc's

Members don't see this ad.

Do schools lets you choose which computer to bring or do they MAKE you buy a specific one?

i really want to bring my mac.........i could install windows on it if it came down to it but i wanted to make sure there were no physical hardware requirements found only on pc's

I know campbell gives you one preloaded with their software. I don't know about other schools but I would think with all of that tuition money they would give it to you. I plan on keeping my dell xps but a free laptop(then iPad in rotations) sounds okay to me.

My school has you buy one; and you can get whatever you want as long as it meets the minimum tech specs.

I ended up buying a new MacBook Pro, should have gotten a MacBook Air. Didn't use the extra muscle of the pro, and now that I'm on rotations my desktop could have suited me just as well as a laptop. I mainly just use my iPhone for uptodate these days anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know campbell gives you one preloaded with their software. I don't know about other schools but I would think with all of that tuition money they would give it to you. I plan on keeping my dell xps but a free laptop(then iPad in rotations) sounds okay to me.

so you have to pay the money for the computer they give you? cant you just save that money and bring our own computer so long as it meets the "minimum" requiremnets? :confused:

i feel like they are stone walling students if they do that

Kcumb gives you an iPad or iPad mini. Even if you already own one they give you one.

DMU gives you a laptop and an iPod touch. When you graduate you own both.

I'm sure you can still bring your own/use your own but these two schools supply you with tech year 1.

Kcumb gives you an iPad or iPad mini. Even if you already own one they give you one.

DMU gives you a laptop and an iPod touch. When you graduate you own both.

I'm sure you can still bring your own/use your own but these two schools supply you with tech year 1.

Bear in mind, these schools don't "give" you anything. You buy it. And most of the time, students will already have a laptop, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or all 4.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you don't get this stuff for free, tuition is raised accordingly, and probably even more.

Bear in mind, these schools don't "give" you anything. You buy it. And most of the time, students will already have a laptop, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or all 4.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you don't get this stuff for free, tuition is raised accordingly, and probably even more.

cant you OPT out of paying for this stuff when you already have all ipad and computer??

whats the point of having double of everything...seems wasteful.

By give I meant you don't pay for it in addition to tuition. It is not owned by the student until he/she graduates from the program. If the student withdrawals or leaves then it must be returned to the school.
And yeah, I already have an iPad and an iPhone and a laptop but I think it is a good thing schools are doing this for students.

cant you OPT out of paying for this stuff when you already have all ipad and computer??

whats the point of having double of everything...seems wasteful.

Kcumb states on their website that you cannot opt out of it....but when you graduate and it's yours you can do whatever you want with it.
I do not know what DMU's policy is on refusing technology. A question to ask at my interview!

Kcumb states on their website that you cannot opt out of it....but when you graduate and it's yours you can do whatever you want with it.
I do not know what DMU's policy is on refusing technology. A question to ask at my interview!

haha i geuss you could sell it as soon as you get it. No point in selling a brand new in box laptop from 4 years ago lol

By give I meant you don't pay for it in addition to tuition. It is not owned by the student until he/she graduates from the program. If the student withdrawals or leaves then it must be returned to the school.
And yeah, I already have an iPad and an iPhone and a laptop but I think it is a good thing schools are doing this for students.

Of course you don't pay for it in addition to tuition, they just increase your tuition by a few grand to cover the cost of the tech they are "giving" you.

Again, it's not a bad thing. But don't be tricked into thinking you're getting anything for free.

My school gives us a couple thousand dollars worth of medical equipment. But we have an $800 "supply fee" that we pay in year 1. Apparently the school get a sweet deal on all the gear buying it in bulk but we still pay for it.

Campbell supports their computer 100%. If the one you have freezes up you bring it to IT and they give you a loaner for the day, or until yours is fixed. They also do all their tests online with that laptop. So you are better off using it. They are looking into having a tablet for next year.

ACOM gives you a Surface. They don't know if they will use it next year or another tablet.

Look on the CIB and it will let you know what your tuition fees go towards.

KCOM issues the new iPads, although you can opt out if you have anything as far back as the iPad 2. The cost is added as a fee to your tuition, otherwise. IT seems to offer full support.

Campbell supports their computer 100%. If the one you have freezes up you bring it to IT and they give you a loaner for the day, or until yours is fixed. They also do all their tests online with that laptop. So you are better off using it. They are looking into having a tablet for next year.

ACOM gives you a Surface. They don't know if they will use it next year or another tablet.

Look on the CIB and it will let you know what your tuition fees go towards.

Surface?? Is that a joke???? The pro right.....right......?

Surface?? Is that a joke???? The pro right.....right......?

Who has the original surface anyways?

Your question is insanely school specific. There are some schools that include a laptop/tablet in their "tech fee", but I believe most just have minimum tech requirements.

It really varies though, and given that you are going to be dropping >$150,000 at any school you go to, I wouldn't worry about them making you buy a $500-$1000 laptop/tablet. I'd really be more worried about having to pay ridiculous things like $500 for a "Graduation Fee" (isn't that what I'm paying for with my tuition?) or the $100-$200 you might be required to pay per semester for disability insurance or the $1000 you might have to pay for books (if they don't include it with your laptop/tablet) or paying $250-$300 a month for their required health insurance even if you have health insurance, etc. etc. See what I'm getting at? Don't freak out about the tiny amount you'll have to pay for something you might actually use, freak out about the tens of thousands that you'll pay and not even know what its for.