Computers, Tablets, Phones, & other Tech for Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I bought a Macbook Pro and iPad 3 on craiglist for $1200. They were 6 months old and in perfect condition. It works great and I've had no problems with it. As for the iPad, I only used it for google searching. Is google searching with $400? No. So I sold it.

Mac's are too expensive at retail price. That's why I bought it on Craigslist. $800 for a MBP is a steal.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. I'm lost. I'm pretty software savvy, but I have no clue about the new tablets. Can someone list the conceivable choices for a matriculating student?

Ok. I'm lost. I'm pretty software savvy, but I have no clue about the new tablets. Can someone list the conceivable choices for a matriculating student?

Depends on what you intend to use it for. Do u want for note taking, to read etextbooks, medical apps, etc..

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you intend to use it for. Do u want for note taking, to read etextbooks, medical apps, etc..

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I saw my friend use his ipad last year effectively in college science courses. He'd just draw on the pdfs. I want to do that and be able to quickly type if class speeds up. Maybe something with both a keyboard and a fantastic note-taking app available?

I saw my friend use his ipad last year effectively in college science courses. He'd just draw on the pdfs. I want to do that and be able to quickly type if class speeds up. Maybe something with both a keyboard and a fantastic note-taking app available?

Well iPad works for that. U can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for it. The only problem with iPad is the stylus nib is thick like a finger so takes getting used to.

If you want to use a pen like stylus with thin nib then galaxy note 10 had that capability. The handwriting on that blows the iPad away.

Ipad wins on app selection.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Well iPad works for that. U can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for it. The only problem with iPad is the stylus nib is thick like a finger so takes getting used to.

If you want to use a pen like stylus with thin nib then galaxy note 10 had that capability. The handwriting on that blows the iPad away.

Ipad wins on app selection.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Thanks!

That's pretty much the main reason why I bought an iPad.

Looks like I'll be getting one soon too.

Feel sad getting rid of my transformer prime. Used that thing for everything junior and senior year of college.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I bought a Macbook Pro and iPad 3 on craiglist for $1200. They were 6 months old and in perfect condition. It works great and I've had no problems with it. As for the iPad, I only used it for google searching. Is google searching with $400? No. So I sold it.

Mac's are too expensive at retail price. That's why I bought it on Craigslist. $800 for a MBP is a steal.

Did they fall off a truck?

Man, I feel old. When I was in college, the iPad was not even a thing. The iPhone just came out, and I still had a dumb phone.

Do people seriously all need new technology for medical school? I'm not planning to buy anything new, unless the school that takes in has some sort of a policy where I have to buy one of their laptops. I am the owner of a 5-year-old iMac, a 2-year-old MacBook Air, a 2-year-old iPad, a 1-year-old Android tablet, and an iPhone 5. I think I'm set.

Man, I feel old. When I was in college, the iPad was not even a thing. The iPhone just came out, and I still had a dumb phone.

Do people seriously all need new technology for medical school? I'm not planning to buy anything new, unless the school that takes in has some sort of a policy where I have to buy one of their laptops. I am the owner of a 5-year-old iMac, a 2-year-old MacBook Air, a 2-year-old iPad, a 1-year-old Android tablet, and an iPhone 5. I think I'm set.

Your setup looks good!

All I need is a new laptop, my current one is a 5 year old hp which overheats and needs a new battery.

The iPad is a requirement by my school, otherwise my android tablet would have been fine. Just got the galaxy S4 a few weeks back.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Switched over to the dark side. Just ordered me a MacBook air.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Would you guys suggest getting a cheap laptop and using the saved money to get a PS4, or using more money to just get a nice laptop?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you guys suggest getting a cheap laptop and using the saved money to get a PS4, or using more money to just get a nice laptop?

I'd be afraid of getting new games right before school starts because I know it'd be a huge distraction.

Some perspective: I depend on my laptop and use it every day for multiple tasks. I don't even remember the last time I played on my gaming console. It's just sitting there collecting dust.

Switched over to the dark side. Just ordered me a MacBook air.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

images

(Where is Mr Kenobi when you need him??)

Does it have the retina display?

No retina. But I get 12hrs of battery life!

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Nice. So it looks like you're stacking them Apples, eh? Are you switching to the iPhone to match your MBA and iPad?

Nice. So it looks like you're stacking them Apples, eh? Are you switching to the iPhone to match your MBA and iPad?

nope. I'll stick with my galaxy s4.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

What's cheap? As long as it'll last, it doesn't matter if you get a good deal on it. I recently picked up a refurbished Ivy Bridge i5 Lenovo laptop (1yr warranty) with 8GB of Ram, Win8, HDMI out, USB 3.0, and a 750GB HDD for $250. Its in like new condition.

If you can get a crazy deal from something like Lenovo Outlet, then I'd say get a stable/well equipped machine for as cheap as you can find it and save the rest of your money for whatever you want. I would stay away from the PS4 though, what are the chances that'll be worth your time in a couple months? Maybe something more productive... like med school books or less money taken out for loans? You could even just save it until you feel the need to upgrade to a new phone or tablet.

Having an HDMI port, or at least proper cables for your computer to hook up to HDMI, is a very useful feature for school.

Having an HDMI port, or at least proper cables for your computer to hook up to HDMI, is a very useful feature for school.

:thumbup: Thank God Apple put an HDMI port on the MBP retina.

Yeah ordered me an adapter from monoprice.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Anybody have any input about the Lenovo x230T?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar