1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

concentration prob

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by V4viet, Feb 20, 2007.

1. V4viet

V4viet Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    A studetn has 0.8 L of a 3 molar HCL solution. How many liters of distilled water must she mix with 3 molar solution in order to create a 1 molar HCL solution?

a)0.8L
    b)1.6L
    c)2.4L
    d)3.2L

Here's what i got so far
    i found the moles of HCL in 3 molar solution which is
    3 mol/1L x 0.8L =2.4 moles
    then i dont know what else to do

Examkrackers has the prob worked out in the back but i still dont understand can someone please help me.. the answer is 1.6L

2. Mark84

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    your looking into the problem to much M1V1= M2V2 so you would have
    (3molar)(.8 Liters) = (1molar)(Xliters) solving for X you get 2.4 liters, now you started with .8 liters, so subtract .8 from 2.4 giving you 1.6 Liters

3. Richter915

7+ Year Member

the formula is M1V1 = M2V2 but you must remember that V2 is the total volume of ur final solution. You already have .8L of HCL so you must dilute it with 1.6L of water to give you a total solution volume of 2.4L

4. OP
    OP
    V4viet

V4viet Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    omg thank you so much you guys.. yeah examkrackers never really mention M1V1=M2V2..and i guess it's been so long since gen chem that i forgot about it..thanks again guy..yal save my life...