Concern about lack of ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pancakesyrup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is 28 and I think I can bring my cGPA and sGPA over 3.4 by mid-July :xf:

But my worry is that my EC activities are just not enough.

Here's what I have so far:

• Hospital volunteering in the outpatient unit (including observing a few surgeries): 80 hours---summer 2009

• Shadowed a DO cardiologist (3 hours a week on average)----summer 2011 (I plan on continuing this once this semester is done in late May)

• Volunteering at a medical clinic which provides care to the uninsured (4 hours a week on average)-----ongoing, since the end of September 2011

Any suggestions on how to improve on my activities from now to July this year (when I potentially apply to DO schools)? Or should I just punt this coming cycle? I mean, sure this may add up to a couple hundred hours, but won't this look lame compared to 10-15 activities that a lot of other applicants have?

Members don't see this ad.

My MCAT is 28 and I think I can bring my cGPA and sGPA over 3.4 by mid-July :xf:

But my worry is that my EC activities are just not enough.

Here's what I have so far:

• Hospital volunteering in the outpatient unit (including observing a few surgeries): 80 hours---summer 2009
  • Shadowed a DO cardiologist (3 hours a week on average)----summer 2011 (I plan on continuing this once this semester is done in late May)
  • Volunteering at a medical clinic which provides care to the uninsured (4 hours a week on average)-----ongoing, since the end of September 2011
Any suggestions on how to improve on my activities from now to July this year (when I potentially apply to DO schools)? Or should I just punt this coming cycle? I mean, sure this may add up to a couple hundred hours, but won't this look lame compared to 10-15 activities that a lot of other applicants have?
Have you held any jobs?
Do you have any leisuretime activities, like hobbies, sports, the Arts?
Did you join any organizations during college?
Did you have family responsibilities that took up time?
If you had no research, did you do a thesis or some other major project on your own or in a group?
Have you traveled out of the country for any reason?
Any teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor)?
Any leadership?
Any activity demonstrating teamwork?

Your clinical experience will be fine between the two activities. And the hours of shadowing are good, though I'd like to see a primary care doc for a day or so added. Presumably, you'll get an LOR?

Besides that addition, I'd like to see some nonmedical community service for a cause you care about, ideally something that helps the needy. Ideas: Meals on Wheels, homeless or women's shelter, soup kitchen, food pantry, crisis hotline, after school tutoring of kids or ESL for adults, Big Brother/Big Sister, Special Olympics or coaching athletic programs for the physically disabled, helping with a scout troop or other youth group, providing enrichment classes in a poor school (eg, science demonstrations or health topics), Habitat for Humanity, or Humane Society.

OP you're in a good position for applying for DO this July. Just get some more clinical experience ( volunteering in a clinic). A letter from a DO will help you a lot especially if it's a personal and strong letter. Also look into leadership/ mentoring qualities which you can gain through tutoring and leading organizations at your school or community. Also look into non-clinical community service such as volunteering at a homeless shelter. I think your ECs need a little bit of work but you're almost there. Make sure to have some unique hobbies an activities e.g sky diving, martial arts etc.. Please read mu MDapp since it discusses important things about applying. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you held any jobs?
Do you have any leisuretime activities, like hobbies, sports, the Arts?
Did you join any organizations during college?
Did you have family responsibilities that took up time?
If you had no research, did you do a thesis or some other major project on your own or in a group?
Have you traveled out of the country for any reason?
Any teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor)?
Any leadership?
Any activity demonstrating teamwork?
Of those questions, I did join some organizations during college, but never really became highly committed to any of them or made a huge difference. I have also traveled to four European countries plus one South Asian country with my family, but I'm not so sure how it relates to a med school application or how it will help me.

I guess it makes sense that I should do a non-medical activity like Meals on Wheels or Habitat. I do want it to be something I'll enjoy. And at the clinic I volunteer at, I may be able to shadow a primary care doctor (but he is an MD). And yes, the DO cardiologist agreed to write me a LOR once I apply.

Thanks for the feedback.

OP you're in a good position for applying for DO this July. Just get some more clinical experience ( volunteering in a clinic).
Are you suggesting something other than the clinic I am currently volunteering at, or just continuing what I'm doing there?

A letter from a DO will help you a lot especially if it's a personal and strong letter.
The cardiologist I shadowed agreed to write me one.

Also look into leadership/ mentoring qualities which you can gain through tutoring and leading organizations at your school or community. Also look into non-clinical community service such as volunteering at a homeless shelter.
If I do any of those for about 4-5 months, will it be a huge help?

I think your ECs need a little bit of work but you're almost there. Make sure to have some unique hobbies an activities e.g sky diving, martial arts etc.. Please read mu MDapp since it discusses important things about applying. Good luck!
Again, thanks for the feedback!

I have also traveled to three European countries with my family, but I'm not so sure how it relates to a med school application or how it will help me.
This is relevant as it demonstrates flexibility, experience of diversity, and willingness to move outside your comfort zone.

What do you do in your free time? If you joined special interest clubs, listing them can help demonstrate that you had stress-relieving activities and some level of social interaction. Do you make enchiladas, work on cars, write poetry, rock climb, read mystery novels, play video games, knit, do woodworking: listing these may seem mundane to you, but they help adcomms to get a sense of your personality beyond the very-similar ECs that med school applicants tend to list.

This is relevant as it demonstrates flexibility, experience of diversity, and willingness to move outside your comfort zone.

What do you do in your free time? If you joined special interest clubs, listing them can help demonstrate that you had stress-relieving activities and some level of social interaction. Do you make enchiladas, work on cars, write poetry, rock climb, read mystery novels, play video games, knit, do woodworking: listing these may seem mundane to you, but they help adcomms to get a sense of your personality beyond the very-similar ECs that med school applicants tend to list.
I've joined a few clubs in school, but they are student-run and I'm not so sure about how to verify it on an application the same way I would verify other experiences by providing contact info. Sometimes membership can be as "official" as joining their facebook group and attending a few of their gatherings.

Also, where on AACOMAS would I talk about things like joining student clubs or traveling to other countries? Would they be listed in the same section as my clinical and service activities?

Are you suggesting something other than the clinic I am currently volunteering at, or just continuing what I'm doing there?

The cardiologist I shadowed agreed to write me one.

If I do any of those for about 4-5 months, will it be a huge help?

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Continue with your clinical experience. Also 4-5 months of more ECs should definitely boost your app.

1) I've joined a few clubs in school, but they are student-run and I'm not so sure about how to verify it on an application the same way I would verify other experiences by providing contact info. Sometimes membership can be as "official" as joining their facebook group and attending a few of their gatherings.

2) Also, where on AACOMAS would I talk about things like joining student clubs or traveling to other countries? Would they be listed in the same section as my clinical and service activities?
1) You could use one of the club officers as a contact. Or a co-member who can attest to your involvement. As a last resort, list yourself.

2) List them under Extracurricular/Volunteer, and name the activity appropriately, eg maybe Travel Experiences. For clubs, list the organization as Various, and name the activity Club Memberships.

If you're from a state with lenient state MD schools then it would be worth a try to apply to them too. I think for DO you're a wonderful candidate.