WAMC GPA 3.37 MCAT 507 lacking ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themountain123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
- cGPA: 3.37, sGPA: 3.40
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
TN
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
Indian, born in India moved here when I was young, current US citizen
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Bio BCMB degree at UTK graduated 2021
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
-My extracurriculars are where I'm lacking quite a bit, due to covid and having to adjust to online along with everything else my opportunities for research and volunteering were quite limited, so really my ECs consist of the fact that I worked as a PCA/CNA at a hospital full-time for a year on the COVID floor, originally the cardio, renal, and pulmonary floor, which was very demanding (at one point I was 1 of 2 PCA/CNAs left for 45 patients and was the sole PCA for the floor most times).
  1. Research experience and productivity
- none sadly
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
plan to formally shadow DO soon but saw and talked to many at the hospital
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
  2. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Worked as a PCA/CNA for a year during gap year, moved home after and am currently helping my parents run the family retail store due to dads health (worsening diabetes, high cholesterol, and developing neuropathy.)
Tutored for a semester.
  1. Relevant honors or awards
  2. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Covid had a big impact on the second half of my undergrad and restricted a lot of opportunities. I also wasn't able to get a LOR, so i plan to take a science course or two at a local community college to hopefully get a science LOR

Would I be competitive for DO schools? if so a list of schools would be really appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply to U Tennessee and East Tennessee for MD schools. For DO schools I suggest these:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 user
You should apply to U Tennessee and East Tennessee for MD schools. For DO schools I suggest these:
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
thanks for the list!! And do you think it’s worth applying for MD I figured I wasn’t competitive for it, and do you think I’ll be competitive for the DO schools with my lack luster ECs?

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
- cGPA: 3.37, sGPA: 3.40
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
TN
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
Indian, born in India moved here when I was young, current US citizen
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Bio BCMB degree at UTK graduated 2021
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
-My extracurriculars are where I'm lacking quite a bit, due to covid and having to adjust to online along with everything else my opportunities for research and volunteering were quite limited, so really my ECs consist of the fact that I worked as a PCA/CNA at a hospital full-time for a year on the COVID floor, originally the cardio, renal, and pulmonary floor, which was very demanding (at one point I was 1 of 2 PCA/CNAs left for 45 patients and was the sole PCA for the floor most times).
  1. Research experience and productivity
- none sadly
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
plan to formally shadow DO soon but saw and talked to many at the hospital
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
  2. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Worked as a PCA/CNA for a year during gap year, moved home after and am currently helping my parents run the family retail store due to dads health (worsening diabetes, high cholesterol, and developing neuropathy.)
Tutored for a semester.
  1. Relevant honors or awards
  2. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Covid had a big impact on the second half of my undergrad and restricted a lot of opportunities. I also wasn't able to get a LOR, so i plan to take a science course or two at a local community college to hopefully get a science LOR

Would I be competitive for DO schools? if so a list of schools would be really appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
You're very fine for DO schools!

Reactions: 1 user
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
WVSOM
NYITCOM