Concern about Mayo AZ match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med16484

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was curious what others thought about Mayo AZ's first class' match list. Someone posted their match list in the school-specific thread. At first glance, I was somewhat concerned about how it was compared to Rochester's match list. Seems like it was much more focused on residencies on the west coast and not as many top programs. Should this be something that's worrisome? I'm from the Southeast and hope to rather do my residency in the North East or South.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Mayo Match List-combined.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 588
For real? There are some great SE matches... and it's only their first year. I assume a lot of the class is from the west so that is the reason you see more west coast matches. You might not get the same respect as Mayo main but at the end of the day, you still have the Mayo name and will be able to match in top tier residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
For real? There are some great SE matches... and it's only their first year. I assume a lot of the class is from the west so that is the reason you see more west coast matches. You might not get the same respect as Mayo main but at the end of the day, you still have the Mayo name and will be able to match in top tier residencies.
Really? I hardly see any SE residencies for AZ, only MN. I’m curious how it compares to T20 schools that I’m considering as well

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a small class size and residency match lists are typically region biased through self selection of students. How do you know where the students chose to apply? It's possible that students chose Arizona because of it's geography to begin with and it makes sense they want to stay in the area. Other than that, I see a good mix of competitive and non-competitive fields - pretty impressive for their first ever match.

Minnesota's list seems stronger on superficial glance but again, I don't know if that is student dependent.

Reactions: 1 users
The important question will be how students matched relative to their own preferences.

Really? I hardly see any SE residencies for AZ, only MN. I’m curious how it compares to T20 schools that I’m considering as well
I mean 20 out of 50 something students are in the regions you specified? another 10+ at Mayo main campus. I mean T20 schools have been around a lot longer so yeah expect more students in top-tier programs. But overall 1st year match its great. You will match a great program if you go Mayo AZ. If you so concerned with comparing it to a T20 school, go to a top 20 school.... and personally after living in AZ for 4 years I would not want to go back to snow at all......

I would view mayo az as an entirely different med school. They just share a name

This is extremely solid for a brand new school

Hey guys, I was curious what others thought about Mayo AZ's first class' match list. Someone posted their match list in the school-specific thread. At first glance, I was somewhat concerned about how it was compared to Rochester's match list. Seems like it was much more focused on residencies on the west coast and not as many top programs. Should this be something that's worrisome? I'm from the Southeast and hope to rather do my residency in the North East or South.
Have you been accepted yet?

Looking at match lists is about as reliable as horoscopes. I could go on a long rant about this, but you learn nothing useful from match lists as a premed and any conclusions you do draw will probably hurt your decision making.

The only useful thing about them when you are a medical student is that they give you a list of alumni that matched into your specialty of interest. You can email those people and ask who at your school is a good mentor, is nice to students who want to shadow, pumps out research, etc. This mainly applies if you are interested in something fairly niche that only has a few matches a year, or even no matches some years, and want to see how they matched into said niche field. But that is totally irrelevant for you right now.

• Love
Not everything is about going to the biggest name residency program as possible. This match list is really strong for a new school.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users