Concerned about ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rshahnyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA --> 3.89
sGPA --> 3.84

Taking the MCAT on August 4th, hopefully I'll get around what I'm getting in the practice Kaplans and AAMCs (35-37).

But yeah Extra Curriculars are poor at best.

2 Summers (appx 275 hours hospital volunteering)
1 year as a Writer for the School Paper
1 year as a Assistant Team Manager for the Men's Basketball Team
3 years in the Indian International Student Union
2 Summers working/volunteering at a pharmacy (appx 125+ total hours)

I did indicate in my personal statement about getting a research position next year in a lab studying Anti Freeze Proteins.

I should also have a Sports Medicine internship with the school's Sports Medicine department. We would get to shadow an orthopedic surgeon in this and get experience with initial injury care and rehab exercises.

What kind of detrimental effect could this lack of ECs make on my application? I think my personal statement was pretty good, it was interesting at the very least.

I've applied to every school in NY (I really want to get into a SUNY) and other schools such as Drexel, Temple, Penn State, Ohio State, Rochester and so forth

I would appreciate the time anyone takes to read this and help me out with a response

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA --> 3.89
sGPA --> 3.84

Taking the MCAT on August 4th, hopefully I'll get around what I'm getting in the practice Kaplans and AAMCs (35-37).

But yeah Extra Curriculars are poor at best.

2 Summers (appx 275 hours hospital volunteering)
1 year as a Writer for the School Paper
1 year as a Assistant Team Manager for the Men's Basketball Team
3 years in the Indian International Student Union
2 Summers working/volunteering at a pharmacy (appx 125+ total hours)

I did indicate in my personal statement about getting a research position next year in a lab studying Anti Freeze Proteins.

I should also have a Sports Medicine internship with the school's Sports Medicine department. We would get to shadow an orthopedic surgeon in this and get experience with initial injury care and rehab exercises.

What kind of detrimental effect could this lack of ECs make on my application? I think my personal statement was pretty good, it was interesting at the very least.

I've applied to every school in NY (I really want to get into a SUNY) and other schools such as Drexel, Temple, Penn State, Ohio State, Rochester and so forth

I would appreciate the time anyone takes to read this and help me out with a response

u fine bro.

Applying with skimpy ECs can have the detrimental effect of failure to gain an acceptance and being obliged to go through the stress and expense of a second application season. If one must reapply, it is obligatory to demonstrate improvements since the previous application season, and fortunately you have some planned. I'd suggest adding in some additional breadth of shadowing, perhaps to include a primary care doc besides the Sport Med doc. If opportunities for teaching or more leadership come up, take them. Also, some hands-on nonmedical, noncampus community service would be viewed well.

Worry Wart! You're fine man, just get that research done and you're golden...

and rock that MCAT