concerned applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belle4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am also an aspiring MPH, and I just graduated with a degree in public health. I am EXTREMELY worried about my chances, my gpa was a 3.0 and my GRE's was around 1080 (i think?). I definately want to retake them. I have pretty good rec's and research experience in a scientific lab. I am starting to look at some internships abroad for early 2006. However, i understand the importance of work experience in the public health field. I have two main questions:

1.) how are my chances applying now?
2.) where can i even find an entry-level position in public health? I'm not sure even where to start. I'm not concerned about making money, just the experience.

Thank you! and i think this forum is great.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Most of the top universitites require two years "public health" experience. So your chances at those universities will be pretty slim, if you have don't have the experience. From talking to different admissions counselors from many different universities I found that there is more empahsis placed on work experience than on grades and GRE's. That's not to say that no emphasis is placed on those two issues. I would work on getting some really good experience and trying to raise your GRE scores. Remember there's not much you can do at this point to raise your GPA. On that note though if your GPA is higher in your last two years or in your major that can look favorably in your application.

2.) As far as jobs goes it really depends on what type of work you want to do with public health. Remember that public health can mean a lot of different things. In order to find a job you first need to decide what area of public health intrests you, then look for a job in that area. "Public Health" in it self is a pretty broad area so if you focus on what you are interested in it will help your chances in finding a job and/or getting into school.

I hope that helps some.

Thank you very much! It helped a lot. Also, does anyone know an inexpensive international abroad program that is short term? I know of cross-cultural solutions but it is SO much money. Thank you!