concerned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsalpacino

~*Sara*~
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- I am brand new to posting on here but I've been reading for awhile...I am currently in the middle of applying to DO schools and thought my chances were ok but now im a little nervous after reading everyones posting on here about "chances of getting in"... I have seen all the complaints from people about reading these and I apologize!! Way to have my first post be an annoying one, sorry :oops: Here are my scores....23R overall with P6 B7 V10, and a 3.87 overall GPA with a 3.9 Science average...any advice at all would be awesome, I also have a letter of rec from an alumni of my top school...thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey Sara,
Have you been studying for the August MCAT by any chance? Your grades are outstanding and your total MCAT is doable, but the 6 in PS may hold you back in a lot of adcoms eyes. Ideally, you would want 8 or higher on every section. However, with some great EC's and LORs you may still get a couple interviews with those stats if you apply broadly. A lot of schools have 24 as their average, and with your grades beign above average you might have a shot. Good luck! :luck:

I know someone who got into a state DO school with a slightly lower GPA and same MCAT so yes, you have a chance. But I agree that the MCAT might be retaken to be on the safe side.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow nice gpa!
you could apply and see how it goes. i think you should be able to get in someplace. new mcat score could improve your chances at the top choice!
good luck!

great grades hows your ec's? good luck w.the apps

mrsalpacino said:
Hey everyone- I am brand new to posting on here but I've been reading for awhile...I am currently in the middle of applying to DO schools and thought my chances were ok but now im a little nervous after reading everyones posting on here about "chances of getting in"... I have seen all the complaints from people about reading these and I apologize!! Way to have my first post be an annoying one, sorry :oops: Here are my scores....23R overall with P6 B7 V10, and a 3.87 overall GPA with a 3.9 Science average...any advice at all would be awesome, I also have a letter of rec from an alumni of my top school...thanks!! :)

Why the low MCAT if you did so well in your classes; i.e.: have such a high GPA?

mrsalpacino said:

mrsalpacino,

Welcome to SDN.

Would you be interested in trading some of your GPA for my MCAT score? If you are interested, please PM me :) :D :luck:

I think you will be fine, you have a 3.87 and 3.9.

Some schools might be out of your reach, but about half of them have average scores that are about 24-26. So apply broadly and work dillegently on your secondaries. Admittedly some schools are quite strange; I have been on here for less than a year, but I have noticed that some O schools are turning down people with 28 and 29 MCATs in place of people who score 24 or 25. So I guess there's a GPA and EC factor that comes into play for the O schools. You have a strong GPA, so that's good. And if you have strong ECs and good medical experiences - then you'll I'm pretty sure you can get in somewhere.

Apply to your state O school if you live in a state that has one.

Best of wishes and goodluck to you :luck:

mrsalpacino said:

I am just wondering...why D.O.?? Why not go for the M.D.? I mean there is a bit of a stigma attached to being a D.O. and I just don't understand why there are some people out there who won't apply to an M.D. school if their life depended on it. Maybe just a matter of preference?

About your MCAT score...it's such a flawed test...my GPA is 3.45 overall with a 3.38 in the sciences...but then again I did have a very rough start to my college career and my GPA since has been about a 3.81 over my last 67 credits and a 3.75 in the sciences. It's still lower than yours yet I managed a 33 MCAT? Something about that just doesn't add up...when will adcom's realize the MCAT is a POS?

adam64897 said:
I am just wondering...why D.O.?? Why not go for the M.D.? I mean there is a bit of a stigma attached to being a D.O. and I just don't understand why there are some people out there who won't apply to an M.D. school if their life depended on it. Maybe just a matter of preference?

I think you will get a bewildering amount of answers. I went O school because during my junior year of under graduate I had a terrible car accident. I was ok, but the other person was hurt very badly. She is ok now, but the accident really brought me to an emotional low point. I couldn't study well. There were days when I would just open the MCAT review books and just cry because I could not concentrate.

So naturally I ended up with a sub par MCAT score. So here I am in O school.

My fate in that accident dictated my future. And I feel blessed to be able to go to O school.

Now there are some hard core guys who get like 34 MCATs and apply to only O schools too. And there are some of them on SDN. Personally I think they are a little to much into the osteopathic tennants :laugh:

About your MCAT score...it's such a flawed test...my GPA is 3.45 overall with a 3.38 in the sciences...but then again I did have a very rough start to my college career and my GPA since has been about a 3.81 over my last 67 credits and a 3.75 in the sciences. It's still lower than yours yet I managed a 33 MCAT? Something about that just doesn't add up...when will adcom's realize the MCAT is a POS?

But the adcoms need something that is standardize so they can look at it and make a decision. That's one of the useful things the boards are for. If the USMLE or COMLEX were flawed test then what will residency PDs use to gauge who to pick up for their programs? Same with the MCAT.

So in a way you are right, the MCAT really isn't a great way of determinine a canidate, but they need something to compare all applicants.

C&C

I am even more worried I havent taken my MCAT's yet still doing my post-bacc work and so far my GPA is only about a 3.0 but 4.0 in the few sci's I have taken.
Someone mentioned a bad car accident a similar thing happpened to me, I was in a terrible accident had about a dozen surgery during my undergrad college career, I hould have taken time off but was determined to grad on time, but I should have just taken less classes or time off, and now I hope to make up for my low grades with an amazing MCAT sore but its still pretty much a crapshoot

mrsalpacino said:

I think you'll still have chances at some schools.