Concerns about G.P.A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who should I talk to?

• Professor (to discuss future discourse)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Pre-health office

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Parents

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Academic Advisor

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

ferrari430man

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow members!

I write to you as a concerned Junior about one of my courses and its effect on my GPA. As of now, I have a cumulative GPA of 3.99-4.00. I have worked diligently to maintain this standard but I feel that I may be in trouble with one of college requisites: Ethics. My ethics professor takes a very odd stance in terms of grades (since he doesn't believe in the grading system or in exams). He is quite intelligent and I do enjoy the course but what concerns me is that he constantly mentions that his midterms and final exams have an overall average between a D or F. He says that on average he will give out B s to most of his students to "please" their parents.

My worry is that with this B or possibly lower grade, my GPA will tank a hit, and this course might become problematic for my application. I am very confused as how to go about this. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're being incredibly neurotic, should you not be trolling ...

No one cares about your B in Ethics. Maybe you'll get a B. IDK, but your GPA won't "tank". Get over it.

*also slaps and storms out*

Reactions: 1 user
Welp. Seeing as how people have reacted thus far, I will go about this on my own. I just wanted advice. Lighten up.

Anyhow, thank you for taking your time to reply great senpais!

Okay. I really did not mean to sound like I was on a high pedestal or to behave "neurotically." I apologize for any inconvenience which I may have caused.

Welp. Seeing as how people have reacted thus far, I will go about this on my own. I just wanted advice. Lighten up.
Yes. Please deal with the lower division philosophy class on your own. I'm sure you'll do alright.

You got all the advice that you needed. I'll reiterate if it weren't clear: you're being neurotic. That's unhealthy and you can avoid this by taking a chill pill and not worrying about how a non-prereq/science class is going to impact your junior GPA.

And, telling us to lighten up might betray a lack of self-awareness on your part.

Be attentive, stay abreast of the material, and be prepared and the professor may give you an A. All you can really do is do your best and hope for the best. If that isn't enough, just accept that that's just how some professors are (sadly). Plus, even if you get a B, it won't matter much since you have an excellent GPA.

Here's some advice for you

*slaps and storms out angrily*

Members don't see this ad :)
@GiveMeThatMD Thanks, Bro. I'll behave properly on an online, anonymous forum from now on.
All the cool kids were doing it, I just wanted to be popular. Don't sweat too much about getting a B. That's not a tank to your GPA, that's a ding. A tickle. One thing I've learned is to NEVER pay heed to the "average" of a test. If you're not an average student, you won't be included in that metric.

As someone who appreciates your avatar, let me ask you a question: are you learning in the class? One of my two favorite classes in college wrecked my 4.0 but it remains an important class. My ethics class has helped me so far in interviews. A B will not kill you.

Wanna know what 1 B will do to you?

It'll drop you to a 3.97 by the time you apply.

Wanna know which schools will care?

Here's a comprehensive list:

Reactions: 8 users
@Flashfan I definitely enjoy his take at on our political policies and the events which have led to the U.S.' current state. He is also one of those professors who is not afraid to discuss controversial topics such as abortion, rights etc. I do understand that one B will not affect my GPA greatly, but the pre-health office at my university says the following: getting a B is getting farther from being accepted into Medical School.

@Flashfan I definitely enjoy his take at on our political policies and the events which have led to the U.S.' current state. He is also one of those professors who is not afraid to discuss controversial topics such as abortion, rights etc. I do understand that one B will not affect my GPA greatly, but the pre-health office at my university says the following: getting a B is getting farther from being accepted into Medical School.

So you have two options here.

1) You can take the B and suck it up and realize it won't matter

2) You can be paralyzed by the fear of getting a B because of some idiotic thing your pre-health office said

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I'm just as neurotic as the OP but I would be furious if I had a professor as harsh as this. And if you are describing the professor without exaggeration, I would probably talk to someone in the college about this because it's BS for professors to be ruining students GPAs like this (whether it is a 4.0 or a 3.0).

Although it may not make a difference to the OP's GPA, since he is a Junior, it can make a difference for a first semester freshman whose bad ethics grade will make up ~20% of their cGPA. Having a bad cGPA to start can be discouraging.

Why isn't therapist an option?

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I'm just as neurotic as the OP but I would be furious if I had a professor as harsh as this. And if you are describing the professor without exaggeration, I would probably talk to someone in the college about this because it's BS for professors to be ruining students GPAs like this (whether it is a 4.0 or a 3.0).

Although it may not make a difference to the OP's GPA, since he is a Junior, it can make a difference for a first semester freshman whose bad ethics grade will make up ~20% of their cGPA. Having a bad cGPA to start can be discouraging.

Seriously? A prof who gives mostly Bs is "harsh" and guilty of "ruining students [sic] GPAs"? What does a high GPA even mean if everyone gets an A?

just be lucky this wasn't the grading attitude towards all of your classes. First you'll get a B, and then you'll be hitting the crack pipe before you know it. It's a long, downward, apocalyptic spiral.

jk. you're fine, dude. good luck, ethics is actually pretty cool.

Everyone should get a C in ethics because most people are not wholly ethical (myself included).

Just do well in the course, one B won't be the end of the world. In the future, try to take courses with professors who have clear grading policies. Yours is not harsh if he gives most people Bs (the average in most of my philosophy classes is always around a C) but the truly discouraging thing is that he is not clear enough about how he grades that you can only predict a grade between a D and a B. That or you are selectively leaving out information to make your situation seem more intractable than it is.

I think that this professor is f**ing with your head; and I suspect that you'll be fine.

So chill, please???

I write to you as a concerned Junior about one of my courses and its effect on my GPA. As of now, I have a cumulative GPA of 3.99-4.00. I have worked diligently to maintain this standard but I feel that I may be in trouble with one of college requisites: Ethics. My ethics professor takes a very odd stance in terms of grades (since he doesn't believe in the grading system or in exams). He is quite intelligent and I do enjoy the course but what concerns me is that he constantly mentions that his midterms and final exams have an overall average between a D or F. He says that on average he will give out B s to most of his students to "please" their parents.

My worry is that with this B or possibly lower grade, my GPA will tank a hit, and this course might become problematic for my application. I am very confused as how to go about this. Any advice?

Troll troll troll your boat.............

Trolling so far to even create a survey? Solid effort OP

B's are good for character. They put hair on your chest (if female then please disregard that statement):banana:

I am in a writing class with a professor similar to yours. He is brilliant, but doesn't believe in As. I waited until senior year to take the class, since I needed it to graduate and figured that if accepted my application would not be rescinded over a B. Still, I appreciate the class itself.
Relax and enjoy the content.

This is honestly one of the most neurotic posts that I've seen on this website, and that is saying something incredible.

Edit: although from the rest of the posts it seems that you've gotten that. If you enjoy the class, don't worry about it.

looks like it's the Caribbean for you

hope you like the beach

B's are good for character. They put hair on your chest (if female then please disregard that statement):banana:
No no, still accurate. Maybe that's why OP is upset?

Reactions: 2 users
Ochem tests often have F averages and are curved up to 2.7 or 3.0 medians. This sounds similar. Try hard and you'll probably end up with a B+ and 0.01 off your cGPA, no impact on sGPA, no big deal.