Concierge Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are now 3 months into our Concierge Anesthesia pilot program. Almost 50 patients have signed up to pay the yearly fee for increased pre and post operative access to our services.

Now granted, I am totally making this $hit up, but interesting idea right? If the IM docs can make it work...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It worked for Conrad Murray . . . for a while.

Reactions: 5 users
It's an interesting concept, but there are a lot of economic and specialty specific things that make this less likely.

I.E. there isn't a need for home visits from anesthesiologist (the surgery has to be done in the OR anyways). The anesthesiologist doesn't diagnose chronic disease that require surgery. (we can't create our supply). Also once the pt is asleep, they don't feel exclusivity created by concierge service just for them. (there isn't enough difference to show them).

BUT if you do get it going with a good business model, i'll sign up for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A yearly fee? How much surgery do people have? If I need something fixed, I’m hoping it’s a one and done type of thing, not something that will require a subscription for anesthesia services. An internist sees you once a year plus at various other times for med adjustments and whatever else comes up over the course of the year.

Concierge anesthesia services would only work for people who overutilize the healthcare system and who seem to be the group that would not be able to afford these things.

Reactions: 1 users
A yearly fee? How much surgery do people have? If I need something fixed, I’m hoping it’s a one and done type of thing, not something that will require a subscription for anesthesia services. An internist sees you once a year plus at various other times for med adjustments and whatever else comes up over the course of the year.

Concierge anesthesia services would only work for people who overutilize the healthcare system and who seem to be the group that would not be able to afford these things.

Good feedback. Maybe a per procedure fee. Admittedly I’m not ready for Shark Tank yet.

Good feedback. Maybe a per procedure fee. Admittedly I’m not ready for Shark Tank yet.

I have a buddy who has a concierge component of his internal med practice. Essentially people are paying for access...minimal wait time, preferred appointments, his cell phone number/email address, etc. It’s good for both him (more satisfying than the 7 minutes of box-checking for non-concierge) and the patients who are willing to pay for it. He’ll also provided extra services for his concierge patients like closer guidance and counseling on diet and exercise.

I think a concierge type of anesthesia setup would look all too much like the PSH that everyone loves to hate.

Or, the concierge anesthesia practice would look like that Oklahoma Surgery Center video on YouTube. It would be a fixed anesthetic fee bundled with a fixed surgical fee for one all-in price for surgery, readily accessible online.

Reactions: 1 users
A yearly fee?
Have you seen women these days? Mostly the southern Cali ones. Lips pumped up, boobs bigger then smaller then bigger again, bellies tucked after every thanksgiving, hips sucked, the list goes on and on. These would be the perfect candidates for concierge anesthesia services.

Have you seen women these days? Mostly the southern Cali ones. Lips pumped up, boobs bigger then smaller then bigger again, bellies tucked after every thanksgiving, hips sucked, the list goes on and on. These would be the perfect candidates for concierge anesthesia services.

But for these folks you’re better off charging a la carte. Get a Square so you can accept Visa and MC.

Last edited:

Not as much of that on the east coast, but is that enough to sustain a concierge anesthesia practice? Plus, many plastic surgeons already have some sort of agreement for a flat rate with an anesthesiologist or group, so in a sense it’s already concierge.

I’m thinking more bread and butter stuff like gallbladders or knee scopes. If I get one of those done, I’m hoping not to have to be re-operated on within the next year.