Concurrently enrolling at a community college while at a 4 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Developer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently a third year student at a four year university and I'm considering taking a couple of Astronomy courses (one per semester) at a local community college during the fall and spring terms, while being enrolled full time at my school.

I just want to know if this is considered acceptable or if it would be detrimental to my med school application in the future.. I'm afraid that admissions committees could see it as an attempt boost my sGPA/BCPM. In reality I'm just interested in taking a couple of astronomy courses since astronomy is a hobby of mine and I have a legitimate fascination with the universe. Clearly not enough to pursue it as a career, but I do enjoy reading astronomy journals, articles, and the like. I figured there's no harm in adding one class to my course load per semester.

Q: Why are you not taking these courses over summer?
A: I'm planning on doing microbiology and genetics instead. I've spent the last two summers completing the physics series.

Q: Why are you not considering taking these courses at your own school?
A: I will be graduating way over the unit cap, I already had to get permission from my divisional dean to take the rest of the life science core curriculum in addition to my major requirements.

Q: If you're going to be going over your unit cap, why would you be taking these courses to begin with?
A: I have no intention of sending the CC transcripts to my home school. I have no need for additional courses to fulfill graduation requirements. As far as I know, I am not required to send the transcripts to my school.

If you all think doing this would be unwise, please let me know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd seriously reconsider enrolling at a CC. This all seems like a scheme to pull one over on adcoms.

I'm currently a third year student at a four year university and I'm considering taking a couple of Astronomy courses (one per semester) at a local community college during the fall and spring terms, while being enrolled full time at my school.

I just want to know if this is considered acceptable or if it would be detrimental to my med school application in the future ... I'm afraid that admissions committees could see it as an attempt boost my sGPA/BCPM. In reality I'm just interested in taking a couple of astronomy courses since astronomy is a hobby of mine and I have a legitimate fascination with the universe. (emphasis supplied) Clearly not enough to pursue it as a career, but I do enjoy reading astronomy journals, articles, and the like. I figured there's no harm in adding one class to my course load per semester.

If you all think doing this would be unwise, please let me know.

Thanks!
It should not be a problem. Astronomy is one of your personal hobbies and you have a legitimate fascination with the universe. You are to be applauded for pursuing a personal interest on your own time, and in addition to your regular university classes. Plus, your four-university GPA must already be very strong (and competitive) for medical school. Otherwise, I doubt that you would be thinking about enrolling in extra classes as a third-year student.

By the way (and if you're interested), you might be able to enroll in astronomy courses at your own 4-year university, by "auditing" the astronomy classes. If there is extra space in the classroom, some professors are happy to allow students to "audit" the class, or sit in on the class, without credit. Just a thought ... no worries.

Thank you.

It should not be a problem. Astronomy is one of your personal hobbies and you have a legitimate fascination with the universe. You are to be applauded for pursuing a personal interest on your own time, and in addition to your regular university classes. Plus, your four-university GPA must already be very strong (and competitive) for medical school. Otherwise, I doubt that you would be thinking about enrolling in extra classes as a third-year student.

By the way (and if you're interested), you might be able to enroll in astronomy courses at your own 4-year university, by "auditing" the astronomy classes. If there is extra space in the classroom, some professors are happy to allow students to "audit" the class, or sit in on the class, without credit. Just a thought ... no worries.

Thank you.

Thank you for the info! I'll definitely look into the auditing option you suggested.