Coney Island Hospital clinical rotations (pediatrics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khrd2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing my pediatrics rotation in Coney Island soon. Just wanted to ask if anyone did it there and what they thought of it. also, was anyone able to rent out a place nearby temporarily (like 1 month). What is the parking situation like? would love some input to ease my nerves.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a rotation there in december. I can speak to a few of your questions.
1. For me my rotation was 5 weeks, 2 weeks of pediatric ED (lots of fun, get to do some history taking, and observe some fun stuff), 1 week of NICU (very boring, nothing to do for students), 1 week of pediatric in patient (also very boring, any serious cases get sent to Kings county, so nothing much to do. Plus so few patients sometimes that they close the floor, and make it an adult floor), and 1 week of peds clinic (lots of patients, and also very fun). Everyday there is noon conference. Residents are kind sometimes and try and teach, attendings not so much. However, some of this stuff may have changes since I went, i heard somewhere that it might have.
2. Rent - i dont know, I live in the area
3. Parking - there is a parking lot in the hospital, but it isnt free, and it is so packed that if you get released early you wont be able to leave until the late afternoon cause your car will be blocked in. Look for street parking, its a pain in the ass, and give yourself like 20 minutes of just parking struggle time.

Have fun

Reactions: 1 user
I did a rotation there in december. I can speak to a few of your questions.
1. For me my rotation was 5 weeks, 2 weeks of pediatric ED (lots of fun, get to do some history taking, and observe some fun stuff), 1 week of NICU (very boring, nothing to do for students), 1 week of pediatric in patient (also very boring, any serious cases get sent to Kings county, so nothing much to do. Plus so few patients sometimes that they close the floor, and make it an adult floor), and 1 week of peds clinic (lots of patients, and also very fun). Everyday there is noon conference. Residents are kind sometimes and try and teach, attendings not so much. However, some of this stuff may have changes since I went, i heard somewhere that it might have.
2. Rent - i dont know, I live in the area
3. Parking - there is a parking lot in the hospital, but it isnt free, and it is so packed that if you get released early you wont be able to leave until the late afternoon cause your car will be blocked in. Look for street parking, its a pain in the ass, and give yourself like 20 minutes of just parking struggle time.

Have fun
Thanks so much for your feedback! What are the hours like if you don't mind me asking? And did you get released early often? I am asking because I am not sure whether I need to move there or just commute from home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hours changed depending on what part of the rotation you were on, and when you're preceptor meetings were. For example, ED was 8-4 the first week, and then 12-8 the second week, but you can usually be released an hour or two early depending on how busy it is. Pediatrics is generally good about only keeping students around when there is something to do. But sometimes you'll have preceptor meetings for students, which force you to come in earlier or stay later than you are normally scheduled for. As a rule of thumb, I would say enter the rotation expecting to be in the hospital from 7 am to 5 pm, and then just be thankful when you can come in later or leave earlier.

In terms of whether or not to move to the area, that depends on you entirely. For me I had about a 20 minute commute and 20 minute parking struggle so I was fine with being able to wake up at 6 am M-F. Some fellow students would wake up at 5 and come in from Queens via train so it is doable. Just ask yourself what you're willing to do to not move.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I dont know if I should ask this here or start a new thread. But anyone have experience with Internal Medicine rotation at coney island? I am due to start there in February and just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance and let me know if i should post elsewhere for this.