Conference double dipping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calivianya

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I hear there are different conferences happening for the same organization in different states, and thus different chapters. They are both accepting submissions from medical students. Let’s say the chapters are for State A and State B.

My medical school is in State A. State A’s conference says they will accept any posters from students whose schools are in state A. I am not personally a member of the State A chapter, but I am qualified to present at State A’s conference because of where my school is located based on their rules.

My clinical rotation site is in State B. When I signed up for the parent organization, I had already moved to State B, so I gave them my State B mailing address. I am therefore a member of the State B chapter. They accept submissions from anyone who is a member of that chapter, which qualifies me to present at State B’s conference.

Is there anything that says it’s questionable to double dip and present the exact same poster at both conferences?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a form of self plagarism. It's also known as "replication" when you submit the same manuscript to multiple sources for publications.

Depending on the organization, it can be considered an ethical lapse, to professional misconduct.

Articles submitted for publication must be original and must not have been submitted to any other publication. Except in very unusual circumstances (and then only with your agreement as the editor), authors are expected to submit articles that are original and have not been submitted to any other publication.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a form of self plagarism. It's also known as "replication" when you submit the same manuscript to multiple sources for publications.

Depending on the organization, it can be considered an ethical lapse, to professional misconduct.

Thank you! I didn’t know, and I’m now really glad I asked the question.

Does this also count for presentations, or is it more for written manuscripts? I know classmates who have presented a single poster multiple times. I always thought that must be okay since it seems so common.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nah, OP was talking about abstract submission to the conference, not a journal. Most national or international conferences allow abstracts previously presented in a regional conference or chapter conference

Thank you! I didn’t know, and I’m now really glad I asked the question.

Does this also count for presentations, or is it more for written manuscripts? I know classmates who have presented a single poster multiple times. I always thought that must be okay since it seems so common.
you can, you can present it at one or multiple regional chapter meetings and then to one national or international conference. This depends on the targeted conference's policy. But I feel it is really a waste of time to present at a regional conference because most of the time only the national conference will publish abstracts. To the best of my knowledge, at least my prior PI likes doing this because she can travel and take a break while getting reimbursed from the department.

Although there's no real consequences, I would recommend against that. Doesn't look good to you, your PI, or your school. Imagine someone who attended both conference and go "ehhh I saw this exact same abstract last week at state A's conference" and it spreads around among attendees.

Per my adviser, double-dipping is only OK if you have data to report in state A, and then updating the data and expand the project to report in state B months later.

Although there's no real consequences, I would recommend against that. Doesn't look good to you, your PI, or your school. Imagine someone who attended both conference and go "ehhh I saw this exact same abstract last week at state A's conference" and it spreads around among attendees.

Per my adviser, double-dipping is only OK if you have data to report in state A, and then updating the data and expand the project to report in state B months later.
Some people do this because they want to showcase their research or meet people in different conferences, for example like my boss before, she presented the same stuff over and over and over again