Confidentiality for LOR with Interfolio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AM786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of obtaining letters of recommendation. I thought to use Interfolio. However, is it alright if I don't select the confidentiality tab in Intefolio ("This request is for a confidential letter or evaluation.") because I want to be able to see the letters?

I want to see the letters regardless so I could ask my professors to show me the letter they have written before sending a confidential Interfolio request, right?

The reason why I am so persistent on this matter to see the evaluations beforehand is because I once applied for a competitive internship and manually collected recommendations. Out of the four I received, one person said I was an "average" student and didn't really give me the support I needed from a letter.

I don't want to make such a mistake when applying to medical school...

Members don't see this ad.

The point of these recommendations is that they are by definition CONFIDENTIAL. Some recommenders don’t care and will offer to let you see or even write the letter. If not, you can ask if they will be able to write you a supportive letter. It’s unethical for you to see them without the letter writer’s permission, and it’s for good reasons why this is the case.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't want to make such a mistake when applying to medical school...

So don't.

Make ABSOLUTELY certain that the peeps you ask LORs from are those whom you have solid relationships with, and will be able to provide you a STRONG letter of support when you ask them.

Ask them directly, "Will you be able to provide a strong letter?" If they hesitate, move on to another...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
a plastic surge

You need to request a STRONG letter and not just a letter. Make sure your recommenders actually know what you want so if they’re not willing to do it, they’ll tell you. Always give them a way out. You’ll know if they’re excited to write it or not

This: Always give them a way out. If they really think you're a strong candidate, they'll be delighted to write you a letter.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to request a STRONG letter and not just a letter. Make sure your recommenders actually know what you want so if they’re not willing to do it, they’ll tell you. Always give them a way out. You’ll know if they’re excited to write it or not

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Exactly this. I once asked a PI I didn't have a very good relationship for a LOR for another research program and they said they would write one, but it wouldn't be the best and it might be better if I looked elsewhere. You just have to use the word strong when asking.