Conflicting Timelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DHC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be a senior next Fall, and when I visited my pre-dental advisor awhile back and he suggested the following timeline:

- Take DAT this August, apply in the Fall for admission in the 2009-2010 class.

I really disagree with that, though. I'm taking nine hours of summer school this summer, and I don't think I'll be able to study for the DAT at the same time. Plus I would be applying rather late in the game, no? I would rather:

- Take DAT over the next winter intercession, and apply early in application cycle for admission into the 2010-2011 class. This would give me a gap year, which I was keen on anyhow.

Which plan seems best?

Members don't see this ad.

applying in august is way too late unless your gpa is 3.7+ and your DAT 22+. But even so, waiting to apply early is a much better decision. Your pre-dental adviser doesn't sound too dental app savvy at all by telling you to apply in august.

if you are unable to take your dats earlier, then just apply next year. you will also have more time to prepare for your application.

You don't have to apply in August. You can submit your application in May/June and take your DAT in August if you wanted. But, if you really don't think you have the time to study for the DAT this summer, then I would wait. Are you going to be taking any classes in the fall? If so, you may not have the time to study that you would like so that you can take it over the winter break like you said. Just some things to keep in mind. Good luck!