HPSP Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bommer2323

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been speaking to recruiters from the Airforce and Army about the HPSP for dental school. From a lot of research on SDN, I have gathered that if you want the four-year scholarship you apply the year you are applying to dental school and you can waiver the acceptance letter requirement if your DAT is over 22, which mine is. However, every recruiter keeps telling me I can't do anything without an acceptance letter. My Airforce recruiter even told me that I will apply the spring before dental school and will be back paid is selected for the four-year program after entering dental school. I was wondering if anyone knows if this information is accurate, and I am on the right track for applying to the four-year program.

Members don't see this ad.

Your recruiter is mistaken (unless AF is different?). I am currently applying for the HPSP program through the Navy, and I've been in contact w/a recruiter for over a year already (applying this cycle/class of '26). It is correct that your entire package may be submitted prior to acceptance if your DAT is high enough. I called my recruiter the day after I took my DAT and he got me started on paperwork a few weeks later. I also have already went through the medical screening at MEPS, obtained a security clearance, and written a motivational statement. There are quite a few steps to go through before being able to submit, so I would just try to emphasize that you want to get started early if possible even if your recruiter can't submit until the spring.

Also, it obviously depends when you are able to submit, but my recruiter told me that he notified some D1's over the past winter that they had been selected. This was the latest he'd ever notified applicants, but it was delayed due to Covid. Unfortunately, I can't answer whether or not you'll know if you've been selected prior to starting dental school since I don't know the answer to that either. Best of luck, those are some gnarly stats, the AF should be beating your door down to get you.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

I was a recipient for both the Air Force and Navy 4-Year Scholarship

Thanks for all the detailed info!

My Navy recruiter told me that I'd be interviewing in person, so we'll see if that actually happens...
I also ran into issues w/the AF's recruiters. I've tried to contact multiple recruiters telling them my DAT & GPA, however none of them ever get back to me despite the fact that I am also above the 24 AA threshold w/a decent GPA. I mainly needed to discuss my eligibility for the AF because I'm colorblind. Luckily, the examiners at MEPS seemed to turn their heads the other way when they found out I just wanted to become a dentist for the Navy despite the fact that I scored a 1/14 on the color vision test. Maybe the AF recruiters can hear my colorblindness in my voice, idk?

What DS are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the late Response but thanks for the info guys. I contacted another Airforce office and they are working with me to get my App ready for this board, not really sure but I hope the other recruiter doesn't steer others afoul because if I stopped there I would be too late for the Airforce board.

Do you know when the recruiter needs to submit the applications by for the Air Force? I’ve had trouble with my recruiter as well, unfortunately.

If you are serious about the HPSP, I would encourage you to apply to all 3 branches. With reduced slots and ever increasing tuition, it is getting very competitive. Stay on top of your recruiters to make sure things get done on time.

Big Hoss

Current Army healthcare recruiter, You can apply without a letter of acceptance. PM me anytime if you need help.