Confused about certification & License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been confused about this for a while now so I figured I should get things straight once and for all.

As of now I have the Illinois pharmacy technician license. I bought Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination (2nd ed.) and went on the PTCB website to register for an exam. When I did so, they asked me where I got trained and gave a list of possible universities. I got stuck on this question because I have not been trained so I'm not sure if I am able to continue on with their application.

Do I need to be trained before taking this exam? I haven't worked at a pharmacy and want to apply for a job, so while I have some down time I figure I should study for this exam.

Members don't see this ad.

There should be an option for None or N/A. I was able to register for the PTCE without having "proper" training.

I searched for that option and the only option it gives close to that is "not listed" and it makes me choose a state where I was "trained"

I just rented a book from the library, then took their test & was certified. Chem II ftw.

I remembered going through the process online, and I specifically remember there wasn't a question requiring to know where I had been trained. (Or, at least it wasn't required.)

So, I made a dummy account at the PTCE website & sure enough, for whatever reason, they now require an answer.

They ask: Select the state in which you were trained & School name. I would select my home state (because I trained myself here), then choose "not listed" because self-study isn't listed - neither of those answers are a lie. I think they're looking for a) demographics info and b) to weed out people doing the wrong application when their company or school will pay for the test.

If you're uncomfortable with that answer, I'd give them a call or send them an e-mail. I'm sure you're not the first person to ask this question. If you do, be sure to write back with what they "officially" said. :)