confused about high GPA and low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoisthataltruist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT soon and expecting to get somewhere around 508/509 - as that has been my score consistently for a while now. My cGPA is 3.85 and sGPA is 3.7 and I have some pretty impressive ECs (1500 hrs research, 500 volunteering, presentations, leadership, etc. )

Kind of upset with my MCAT score as I believe it does not match up with my GPA and has drastically decreased my chances to get into an MD school. I have already submitted my AMCAS/AACOMAS app and am now planning on doing around 10 DO schools and 10 MD schools . Don't know if I'm overestimating the effect of the MCAT, but just struggling on how best to apply. Would anyone recommend retaking it and re applying next year ? or just to go through with this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it depends on what kind of schools you applied to. If you applied to schools like Vanderbilt, Cornell, or NYU, you probably have a very low chance to get accepted. Since you applied to 10 DO schools, i think 509 score would be enough, unless they were extremely competitive.

It’s just shows you how many undergrad courses allow for grade inflation. Mcat is the great equalizer

Reactions: 1 users
Well, it depends on what kind of schools you applied to. If you applied to schools like Vanderbilt, Cornell, or NYU, you probably have a very low chance to get accepted. Since you applied to 10 DO schools, i think 509 score would be enough, unless they were extremely competitive.

thanks for the response! MD schools I'm more thinking temple, loyola, southern illinois, rowan, new york medical college, etc. Closer to that tier

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s just shows you how many undergrad courses allow for grade inflation. Mcat is the great equalizer

I see what you mean. Unfortunately I do feel as though my MCAT studying was heavily affected by COVID-19 and that had I more time my score would have been a bit higher.

You may get screened out of getting interviews at top/mid level schools with that MCAT. However, if you get interview invitation, those strong extracurriculars and life skills will help in getting an acceptance. Make sure you apply to all your in state schools.

I am taking the MCAT soon and expecting to get somewhere around 508/509 - as that has been my score consistently for a while now. My cGPA is 3.85 and sGPA is 3.7 and I have some pretty impressive ECs (1500 hrs research, 500 volunteering, presentations, leadership, etc. )

Kind of upset with my MCAT score as I believe it does not match up with my GPA and has drastically decreased my chances to get into an MD school. I have already submitted my AMCAS/AACOMAS app and am now planning on doing around 10 DO schools and 10 MD schools . Don't know if I'm overestimating the effect of the MCAT, but just struggling on how best to apply. Would anyone recommend retaking it and re applying next year ? or just to go through with this cycle

You can look up data from the AAMC about where applicant GPA and MCAT scores fall. One thing you will find is that there are high and low MCAT scores across the GPA spectrum.

As for whether or not you should take the MCAT and apply or wait to try to raise your score, that one is up to you and your goals. If your heart is set on MD or more competitive programs, you’ll have a better shot with a higher MCAT. If your heart is set on moving forward with becoming a doctor, take the MCAT and apply broadly to MD and DO programs. Just depends on what you want.

Reactions: 1 user
You can look up data from the AAMC about where applicant GPA and MCAT scores fall. One thing you will find is that there are high and low MCAT scores across the GPA spectrum.

As for whether or not you should take the MCAT and apply or wait to try to raise your score, that one is up to you and your goals. If your heart is set on MD or more competitive programs, you’ll have a better shot with a higher MCAT. If your heart is set on moving forward with becoming a doctor, take the MCAT and apply broadly to MD and DO programs. Just depends on what you want.

thank you so much!

I see what you mean. Unfortunately I do feel as though my MCAT studying was heavily affected by COVID-19 and that had I more time my score would have been a bit higher.

if you feel you have the potential for a higher score then you should keep studying. it’s okay if it puts your cycle back another year. Med school isn’t going anywhere. I wish I understood that. I’d kill to have taken a year off to just get away from school lol

A 509 isn't a death kneel. You're right at that 47th percentile for MD acceptances. Back in my day *pulls pants up way too high* a 31 (the rough equivalent) was good though to get in if the rest of the app was solid which it sounds like from your perspective.

I would be generally surprised with 10 DO schools on your list that you wouldn't get one to bite.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors