Confused After Step1/Level 1

Started by Sardonix
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1. You should be fine, but I certainly wouldn't ONLY apply to programs in MN.
2. Completely up to you. I probably wouldn't in your situation, unless I could get at least a good improvement (>220-225) on NBMEs (not just UWSAs).

You'll be fine. Apply reasonably broadly.
 
Good luck, but remember that often fit > location.

Get a sense from how motivated the residents are and how diverse their interests are to guage training quality. If you have, in a say an 8 to 10 person class: 1 -2 doing hospitalist, 1 doing obsetrics in a rural area, 1-2 Urgent care/or rural ED (whether FPs in ED is a good idea is another topic), 5 outpatient, 1 international med, 1- 2 under served med, etc, maybe a sports med person, etc. A one line way is “do the residents seem to be making interesting/varied use of their training?”

Good luck

If a place seems cool online, do a rotation there. A good motivated rotation > > board scores....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. You should be fine, but I certainly wouldn't ONLY apply to programs in MN.
2. Completely up to you. I probably wouldn't in your situation, unless I could get at least a good improvement (>220-225) on NBMEs (not just UWSAs).

You'll be fine. Apply reasonably broadly.

Thank you, Hallowmann.

I've seen your posts in multiple sections and always appreciate your insight; this one being no different!
 
Good luck, but remember that often fit > location.

Get a sense from how motivated the residents are and how diverse their interests are to guage training quality. If you have, in a say an 8 to 10 person class: 1 -2 doing hospitalist, 1 doing obsetrics in a rural area, 1-2 Urgent care/or rural ED (whether FPs in ED is a good idea is another topic), 5 outpatient, 1 international med, 1- 2 under served med, etc, maybe a sports med person, etc. A one line way is “do the residents seem to be making interesting/varied use of their training?”

Good luck

If a place seems cool online, do a rotation there. A good motivated rotation > > board scores....

Very good points. I will keep that in mind as I start 3rd year and head into 4th.