Confused and need help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it look bad on transcripts that I have changed schools 2 times???? My other concern is also how long do average pre-dental students receive their bachelor's in? Does it have to be the standard 4 years or longer?? I really need advice on this and I can use any usefull information from everyone!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter if you added one more year, a lot of people who transfer don't finish in the standard 4 year plan. So, don't stress about that. welcome to SDN and keep in touch.:luck:

I have classes from 2 major universities and 2 community colleges for my application. The majority of my credit is at one of the major universities, but it hasn't seemed to matter that I have 4 different schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the answer to your question, but if you contact an admissions officer at one of the dental schools, then they could probably give you the best answer. Admissions officers are usually more than happy to tell you what they are looking for in an applicant.

you should contact the schools you wish to apply to because some dont accept community college credit for prereqs

Four years is a good AVERAGE to receive your BS/BA in. However, that implies that some people do it in three years and others do it in five. not everyone does it in four, that is just the average. as for switching universities...the only problem you are going to run into there is explaining why you switched in your interviews and the process of trying to make sure all the transcripts from each school are sent in on time when you're applying is very annoying.

I had taken summer courses at a community college and my last semester i had to take an addition 3 hours at a different college that had became partners with the community college i had attended in previous years. needless to say, when i sent in my transcripts those two college's had the grades on one transcript and AADSAS didn't realize this for 3 weeks until i called them and asked why my application had not been processed. I was very angry at them. it posponed my application for a total of a month and a half.

i'm sure you'll be fine though.

generally community college classes don't look good for pre-reqs... dental schools know that classes are much easier at these schools and don't consider them competive...

generally community college classes don't look good for pre-reqs... dental schools know that classes are much easier at these schools and don't consider them competive...

I have taken prereqs at both a community college and a major university. I belive that I actually received a better education at the community college than the university. It all depends upon the universities. It is unfair to generalize.

It's fair to generalize when the adcoms sure do. Correct me if you're applying there and have heard differently, but Tufts doesn't even look at/consider CC pre-reqs and UF told me that they would "much rather prefer" pre-reqs from a 4 year University. It's hard to argue the "quality of education" card when admissions policy is fairly absolute.

To the OP ("original poster" since you're a newbie), call the schools you're interested in about the pre-reqs/CC thing. If you have a significant amount of advanced coursework in the natural sciences you should be fine but each school has their own little quirky hot buttons and pre-req specificity just might be one of them.

And for the record, I did a four-year degree in Philosophy with a sub 3.0 gpa at a school in New York. Since then I've taken classes at both UNF and UF as a second major in Biology with very high marks. I'm doing just fine this cycle with 5 interviews so far and no rejections. Extra schools and extra years definately isn't a negative as far as I've been able to tell.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Mack

Thank you everyone for your responses....I am glad I joined this network....I will find out with the admissions offices and find out what they say.

I've transfered 4 times and it didn't seem to hurt me...
I received an associates at broward community college in pre-dental and I started my third year at FIU....but I really want to transfer to UCF for my hopefully senior and last year to receive my bachelors at Biology there.....but will it look bad on my transcripts that I have changed schools 3 times???? My other concern is also how long do average pre-dental students receive their bachelor's in? Does it have to be the standard 4 years or longer?? I really need advice on this and I can use any usefull information from everyone!! Thanks!

I did not take any pre-reqs at these community colleges. Georgetown college is a liberal arts school which equals a lot of gen-eds. I took some gen-eds at the community colleges inorder to fit in more pre-reqs at G-town.