This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheyla1413

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'd appreciate any advice

I have a bachelors in Psychology currently doing a post-bacc to get all my pre-reqs done for MD schools. Currently I have a 4.0 GPA in both science and non-science courses. I am taking Orgo 2, physics 2, and cell bio this semester (spring). I volunteer at a hospital. I have no recommendation letters prepared, and have not started studying for the MCAT.

I was planning on taking it May 2017 so that I can apply for the (2018) cycle but I have so much to do in only a couple of month. I am so eager to start since I am 24 years old and feel like I am just getting older.

Should I wait for the next cycle (2019)? If so what should I do during that year?
Do not take the MCAT until you are scoring 510+ on your full length practice exams. I did a similar thing where I got a bachelors and then did a post-bacc to finish prereqs. I was accepted to start med school this fall, and I’ll be 28. My interviewers stressed that I am not “old” for a med student by any means, so don’t worry about that! Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do not that the MCAT until you are scoring 510+ on your full length practice exams. I did a similar thing where I got a bachelors and then did a post-bacc to finish prereqs. I was accepted to start med school this fall, and I’ll be 28. My interviewers stressed that I am not “old” for a med student by any means, so don’t worry about that! Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you so much, and congrats on getting into med school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I have a bachelors in Psychology currently doing a post-bacc to get all my pre-reqs done for MD schools. Currently I have a 4.0 GPA in both science and non-science courses. I am taking Orgo 2, physics 2, and cell bio this semester (spring). I volunteer at a hospital. I have no recommendation letters prepared, and have not started studying for the MCAT.

I was planning on taking it May 2017 so that I can apply for the (2018) cycle but I have so much to do in only a couple of month. I am so eager to start since I am 24 years old and feel like I am just getting older.

Should I wait for the next cycle (2019)? If so what should I do during that year?
You apply when you have the best possible app. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 3 users

You might need a time machine to take it in May of 2017.

If you meant 2018, I’d wait. You can make yourself a whole lot more competitive (both EC and stats wise) by waiting a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have no recommendation letters prepared, and have not started studying for the MCAT.

Ask the professors you felt like you connected with if they are willing to write you a letter right now to get an idea of where your letter pool stands. Have you been going to office hours? Participating in lecture? Whenever I get at least an A- and connected with a professor, I ask them once grades are submitted.

Just my two cents...the four years I took off from my undergrad to med school acceptance were invaluable. I wouldn't go back and change a thing. Take your time applying. You need to put out the best possible application you can. It needs to be well rounded and you need to know for sure medicine is the path you want. Ill be starting medical school at age 26 so you have time.

As others have mentioned above, most certainly wait until you have the best app you can possibly submit. It's important to consider that many strong applicants will still need to apply twice to gain an acceptance and therefore, you want to put your best foot forward the first time. Don't shortchange yourself by thinking you are getting too old. Others in this tread have mentioned ages of 28 and 26 at the time of matriculation, and I too will be joining the 28 club.

Study, crush the MCAT, and during the time leading up to your application submission, partake in some meaningful ECs that you are actually interested in!

Good Luck!

Ditto everyone else here to support. 26 and starting this fall so you've got time man! Work hard and put forth your best application so that you can do it all in 1 cycle!

You’re not old, but don’t drag your feet unnecessarily. Every year you wait is $250k+ you aren’t earning as a physician. That math comes back into play again later as a resident when you’re deciding on fellowship or not.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely wait. You will still be right around the average age for an M1 will you begin school.

Status
Not open for further replies.