Confused by BCPM minimum grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsdomermd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I took your advice and collected myself because the last time I posted, I was very overwhelmed and depressed about many things. I am feeling renewed and optimistic now.

I'm trying to apply as a non-trad for med school beginning in 2015. I plan on taking MCATs in April. I got my transcript from undergrad, and boy was I shocked! I got a C- in general bio II! Isnt this a requirement/ part of BCMP? If so, should I retake it? I also have a masters in Med Lab Science/Biomedical science, so will the adcom's look over the C-?

So just to recap: undergrad gpa: 3.3, science gpa im not sure, may be a little under the 3.3, however, my last 2 semesters, I got 3.874 and 3.933 and took Pchem and upper level science courses and a science internship all in that time. I was honestly just plain lazy and having too much fun the first 3 years, I regret this soo much. I also graduated in 2006, is that too much time to have elapsed? I also have worked as a Medical Technologist in a hospital lab for 7 years. I heard med school like to see this? I am very mature now as compared to when I was in undergrad, i have two kids married, mortgage, etc so how will this whole package appear to the schools? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Replacing those grades certainly wouldn't hurt, and I think many of use can echo the "wish I woulda known better then" sentiment. Your grades from those last two semesters will show a promising up-trend. There are mixed feelings about whether or not adcoms will overlook less than stellar under-grad grades with a masters. I would say though, that it (the masters) should certainly be considered favorably. While the 3.3 GPA isn't terrible, it isn't strong, and a BCPM GPA sub 3.3 is less than competitive. If you have the time, and if you're planning on applying DO as well, I'd definitely consider re-taking low grade courses to provide some GPA rehab. All this said, much weight will be placed on your MCAT score.

How is the rest of your application? While working in a hospital lab might help, I don't think it will qualify for or substitute as the clinical experience (with patient contact) that adcoms are looking for. I'd make sure all points of your application (clinical experience and community based volunteering) are up to snuff before applying.

How is the rest of your application? While working in a hospital lab might help, I don't think it will qualify for or substitute as the clinical experience (with patient contact) that adcoms are looking for. I'd make sure all points of your application (clinical experience and community based volunteering) are up to snuff before applying.

well in undergrad I played two sports and did community service. During my clinical rotation, I was required to learn phlebotomy so I did many sticks, over 200, to fulfill my requirements. Also when I was done with my stick requirements I applied for a phleb job and worked as a phlebotomist for 6 months until I graduated. Might that be considered enough patient contact? Should I shadow an MD?

Might that be considered enough patient contact? Should I shadow an MD?
While it might, being nearly 7 years ago since you graduated, a lot of time has lapsed and while it's still relevant, it isn't exactly recent. I really can't answer whether or not it will suffice, but if there is a sliver of doubt, I'd be searching for opportunities to gain more. I'm from the camp that says you can't do too much, especially considering we're competing with a less than competitive GPA. To your second question, should you shadow, I'd say yes. I'd also look for a hospital volunteering opp that can get you more recent clinical experience, but that again is just my opinion. If you're serious about making this application cycle, I'd contact the adcoms at your desired schools and schedule an appointment to sit down and go over your application materials asap. They'll know what's best for you, and can provide much more accurate advice than many of us here on the forums, myself included.

Your stats though, look good. I think you have great chances at both DO and MD. Keep the hustle on and best of luck with your MCAT.