Confused, is this an online or distance learning course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BreakASweat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm asking this question for a friend who just confused me on the difference between an online course and distance learning. So far she's taken all of her required courses at the University of Minnesota, in person. For this upcoming fall semester Biochemistry class, there are 3 'live' sections with 100 students in each and an ODL (Online and Distance Learning) section that's capped at 180 students but open to students at the university or outside the state if you registered through the continuing education program. She was fortunate to get into the ODL section because there is already a wait list. The same professor who is teaching one of the live sections is also teaching the ODL section. The sections are identical, except that lecture attendance is mandatory in the live sections and not for ODL, the class just works better with her schedule so she's enrolled in ODL. The same 4 tests and final exam are given in the live and the ODL section, if you are in state, you write the tests live and on campus, while students outside of the state have to find an official proctor center and their tests are then mailed to the professor to be marked.

Is this considered an online course? She's nervous because all of the medical schools that she'd be applying to don't accept online courses, but she's not sure if this is considered an online course because the section title for it says ODL and the live sections say LEC-Regular. She's not sure if it would say ODL on her transcript, it doesn't right now. She's trying to figure out if she should switch to the live section in case taking the ODL section would be considered an online course and not accepted? You know, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking that this would be considered a distance learning course, and if so do medical schools who don't accept online courses accept distance learning courses? The rest of her courses were done in person on campus.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the response Gonnif! She did talk to somebody in the registrars office this morning and they said that it will not show up as ODL on the official transcript, University of Minnesota doesn't post post the section number or whether its live or ODL. She also spoke to the prof who said the classes are identical and the students in both the live and ODL write the exams together too. But . . . better safe than sorry right . . . I let her know and she's switching to the live class just to be safe. Why take any chance I suppose . . it's just a huge hassle for her. Thank you for the quick response.