Confused...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrsMcDreamy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just need some advice on whether I should apply to medical school again this year, or wait and improve my app some more. I graduated last year with my BS in Biochemistry (3.72 GPA, BCPM is around the same). My MCAT score was a 29N. My extras were standard, I guess, ~2500 patient care as a nursing assistant in the SICU of a Level 1 trauma center, tutor, VP of two clubs and honor society, etc. I got three interviews and was rejected/waitlisted. I am now in an MPH-Epi program. I was planning on pursuing my MPH someday so I am not too upset about having to pursue my master's, but it is not a field that I want to belong exclusively to. I got a 3.4 my first semester, which is not great and I have not done anything else to speak of, like volunteer, etc. How much will that hurt me? I am doing a full time internship this summer at a county or the state health dept. and will continue doing internships until next May. How else can I improve my app? Should I retake the MCAT? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I just need some advice on whether I should apply to medical school again this year, or wait and improve my app some more. I graduated last year with my BS in Biochemistry (3.72 GPA, BCPM is around the same). My MCAT score was a 29N. My extras were standard, I guess, ~2500 patient care as a nursing assistant in the SICU of a Level 1 trauma center, tutor, VP of two clubs and honor society, etc. I got three interviews and was rejected/waitlisted. I am now in an MPH-Epi program. I was planning on pursuing my MPH someday so I am not too upset about having to pursue my master's, but it is not a field that I want to belong exclusively to. I got a 3.4 my first semester, which is not great and I have not done anything else to speak of, like volunteer, etc. How much will that hurt me? I am doing a full time internship this summer at a county or the state health dept. and will continue doing internships until next May. How else can I improve my app? Should I retake the MCAT? Thanks in advance for any advice!

That really is a tough call. Schools do want to see an improvement from one year to another, as well as a strong post-bac GPA/Master's level GPA. That said... you might want to take the time to call the places that you applied and/or waitlisted/rejected to see WHY you were rejected. If it was a matter of an MCAT score, then I would focus my time on studying for the MCAT or improving your test taking skills. If it was for lack of ECs, then the ones you have planned are excellent. You really need to find out why you were rejected in the first place, and what was lacking in your application.

How many schools did you apply to? This could make all the difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

You have good items: you mentioned being a nursing assistant, VP of two clubs etc.

I think some large item you may want to take into account is:

1. How many schools did you apply too
2. Which schools did you apply too
3. The state you live in

Say for example you are a California resident and applied to only your in state public schools - that is the UCs. This is bad idea because there are many canidates just like yourself trying to get into the UCs.

You have to cast a much wider net. I'm speaking like 20 schools - and don't apply to schools where you won't have a chance. Be a skeptic, do you think you have a chance at Washington U? If yes, then go ahead and apply - if no, then choose other schools. Get out some book like US News and World Report or MSARs and look at the statistics and numbers.

If you see a school with an MCAT at 29N - then look into that one. If you see something like 32 - then don't apply there. Look at in-state vs out of state applicant numbers. Compare private and public schools.

I wish you the best.
C&C

Hey everyone,

A few thoughts:

1. Make sure to apply EARLY and apply BROADLY.
2. Your MCAT could be better, but should not rule you out if it's reasonably balanced. Consider taking it again if you have reason to believe you could get into the 32/33+ range.
3. Try to keep grades up in the masters program.
4. Your ECs/volunteering/patient contact look really good.
5. Have you done ANY research? Will you as part of your masters program? This would be helpful in strengthening your app.
6. How strong are your LORs? For next year, cultivate relationships with mentors who will come to know you well and be able to write great letters for you.
7. How strong is your PS? Have people who are great writers AND willing to be openly critical look at it, and ask them to give it to you straight.
8. Definitely contact the places where you were in the running but didn't get in (do this after the admission season frenzy dies down) -- often they will be willing to give you some really good feedback.

Most of all, don't get discouraged. This is a tough process and lots of very talented and qualified people take more than one cycle to get in.

Good luck Mrs. McD!:luck: