• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
On page 362 of Kaplan Blue Book, it states the following about the melting point of alkenes:

Trans-alkenes have higher melting points than cis-alkenes due to higher symmetry.

I thought a cis molecule would have more symmetry than a trans molecule. Does this have anything to do with dipoles? If so, how?

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
Trans molecules pack together more efficiently = greater intermolecular forces = more energy needed to melt the molecule = higher mp

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
To answer you question about dipoles, the reason the cis configuration has a higher boiling point as compare to trans is because cis has a net dipole moment while trans do not have dipole moment (they cancel out). A net dipole moment means it has high boiling point. Hope that helps!!

About the Ads

CyborgNinjaX

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Huh what? In what regard? Somebody please tell me what's right! I read through that section yesterday and I'm trying to make sure everything sticks together perfectly. (hopes that streetwolf replies)

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
Huh what? In what regard? Somebody please tell me what's right! I read through that section yesterday and I'm trying to make sure everything sticks together perfectly. (hopes that streetwolf replies)

If Kaplan really is wrong, then I guess the best way to think of trans having a higher melting point than cis is based off of its tightly-packed structure, not its symmetry.

Streetwolf

Ultra Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
NJ
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
If Kaplan really is wrong, then I guess the best way to think of trans having a higher melting point than cis is based off of its tightly-packed structure, not its symmetry.

Yes, since it's tightly-packed it will want to remain in the solid state moreso than its cis counterpart. It's symmetrical around the double bond. While you might think cis is the more symmetrical molecule, it doesn't help for what we're talking about. It's just symmetrical across the double bond - not around it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.