Congrats guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like we made the front page of SDN!

This is the worse form of exploitation in medicine but there are many degrees of exploitation that are still rampant. Any resident run clinic without direct supervision is fraud. Any fellow clinic without direct supervision is fraud. How many who have gone through the residency training process had seen a patient where the attending never evaluated the patient themselves but signed off on the note? I think everyone would raise their hand.

The case settled with an agreement by the New York City Health and Hospital Corporation and the former PMSR Director to pay the government $1.25 million under the Federal and New York False Claims Acts. The former Chief Resident of the PMSR program, who filed the case as the Relator, was awarded 27.5% of the recovery.

27.5%? of 1.25million

...BRB I gotta make a phone call.

Pretty sure all professions have similar scenarios. I saw A LOT of this with podiatry but I saw it with other surgical specialties too. Its not just us.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is at least one longtime member here who did the DPM whistleblower thing also. He might post on this, but who knows?

I'm aware it goes on, and I'm glad it is reported. It takes guts, and I hope it was done for the right reasons - not just rea$ons$. Bottom line: if you are at these malignant DPM or MD or DO training programs, you did honestly did something wrong yourself along the pathway. You don't just wake up as a DPM and find yourself in some nail jail with a joke director that tells you to quad scrub toe amps instead of a quality residency. This is why you really have to scout residencies even if it means some extra travel or money... you might even have to transfer programs or sit out a year. It's worth it...it's the training for the rest of your career.

...As CutsWith said, we have all seen it. The worst I ever saw/heard in the Detroit pod programs was stories of sending residents to do house calls, resident clinic for poor insurance pts (attending not around but available), inpatient nail consults where residents are sent to do them and attending basically just signs chart without even going into the pt hospital room, etc. But hey, you got a lot of RRA and other stuff from most of those same attendings, so c'est la vie?

I am old school, so I appreciated even my many "learn what not to do" attendings. I appreciate the skilled ones and good teachers more, of course. Regardless, I think you still owe them all a debt of gratitude and shouldn't compete against your teachers who passed you the knife or even taught you about clinic billing or patient ideas... definitely shouldn't tattle unless they leave you absolutely no choice. Probably fine to join a group of them and stay local, but I wouldn't open up solo or join that hospital employ or a competing group to vie for patients against my director or those who trained me. Again, old school I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users