Suggestion Consider removing negative reactions on posts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it could be beneficial to remove negative reactions (i.e., dislike thumb) from the array of possible responses to posts.

I think this fosters unnecessary negativity that reduces some people's desire to post.

If people are going to be negative, let them respond as they wish verbally, is my view.

In short: I only see the presence of the dislike causing decreased engagement on SDN. It cannot possibly increase it.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I think it could be beneficial to remove negative reactions (i.e., dislike thumb) from the array of possible responses to posts.

I think this fosters unnecessary negativity that reduces some people's desire to post.

If people are going to be negative, let them respond as they wish verbally, is my view.

In short: I only see the presence of the dislike causing decreased engagement on SDN. It cannot possibly increase it.
I totally agree.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I've never really seen this to be an issue though, if anything it helps me navigate bad or incorrect advice on school threads, and even then, I don't see it being used that often much less be misused (other than in some threads that sidetrack into debates or arguments). If these buttons are causing so much issue (they might be, idk, I only browse a few specific threads) so as to be completely removed, I say we should keep the "inappropriate" one at least. Because if people react with that to obvious trolling or incite, then people don't have to waste time responding to it and turn it into a flame thread. "Letting people respond verbally" might actually not end up being as practical as it sounds.... I've seen some plain old school threads get derailed and spammed because of unnecessary back and forth. Jmtc

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like the negative reactions. I agree with cows cows. On professional threads it is a way of collectively pointing out bad advice without everyone needing to write individual posts. I'm not sure I've seen it used personally in this context.

In Lounge or WW games, I think it is used appropriately and oftentimes in good jest.

Either way, I would keep it

Reactions: 4 users
much less be misused
There was a user (later banned) with whom I had disagreed, who found things that I had posted, and, systematically gave me nonsensical bad reactions rapid fire (I got a screenshot of them in a list) just to "get back at me". The SDN mod staff reaction? "Deal with it". It was definitely misused, in a very juvenile and petty fashion.

"Letting people respond verbally" might actually not end up being as practical as it sounds.... I've seen some plain old school threads get derailed and spammed because of unnecessary back and forth. Jmtc
Yeah this is sort of my opinion on the matter. It may not be nice, but neither is derailing threads with a lengthy back and forth where everyone just keeps repeating the same circular arguments. If someone wants to just register "I disagree" and shortcut all the rest of the back and forth, that doesn't seem like a bad outcome to me.

If someone is truly misusing the reactions to harass someone, please report them.

There was a user (later banned) with whom I had disagreed, who found things that I had posted, and, systematically gave me nonsensical bad reactions rapid fire (I got a screenshot of them in a list) just to "get back at me". The SDN mod staff reaction? "Deal with it". It was definitely misused, in a very juvenile and petty fashion.
Sorry to hear that happened to you, some people certainly can be petty. However, I don't feel that a large majority of people here are that bad. Besides, the anecdote you've provided sounds like SDN has a bigger issue of mod staff needing to do better about handling harassment than an issue of dislike buttons.

However, I do like the idea of having an "I disagree" button rather than one labeled "Dislike" as @GoSpursGo mentioned. Maybe that will make discourse a little gentler. Maybe it could look like two hands crossed in an X form, lol... creativity.

Reactions: 1 user
However, I do like the idea of having an "I disagree" button rather than one labeled "Dislike" as @GoSpursGo mentioned. Maybe that will make discourse a little gentler. Maybe it could look like two hands crossed in an X form, lol... creativity.
This sounds like a good idea to me actually. What do others think?

Reactions: 2 users
I like the negative reactions. I agree with cows cows. On professional threads it is a way of collectively pointing out bad advice without everyone needing to write individual posts. I'm not sure I've seen it used personally in this context.

In Lounge or WW games, I think it is used appropriately and oftentimes in good jest.

Either way, I would keep it
People will naturally have different opinions on whether to get rid of negative reactions. I just think getting rid of them will increase engagement / the number of people wanting to post on SDN. I see it as an objective way to increase number of posts / active users on the forum.

Maybe 95% of people on the forum don't care and thrive in drama and negativity. But now maybe 5% are less likely to assert unconventional or minority views.

• Dislike

I think negative reactions should stay but there should be a yearly limit as I feel some posters overuse them or maybe there should be a motion to address the quote downvoted or if >1 person downvotes, it shows up because sometimes people just are sensitive. Some posters use them way more than others. I don't like seeing negative reactions to my pretty non-controversial posts. There should also be some scale where if a post has several reactions and 10 are positive and 1 is negative, there should be a way to immediately indicate the 10 + outweigh the one negative.

Last edited:
People will naturally have different opinions on whether to get rid of negative reactions. I just think getting rid of them will increase engagement / the number of people wanting to post on SDN. I see it as an objective way to increase number of posts / active users on the forum.

Maybe 95% of people on the forum don't care and thrive in drama and negativity. But now maybe 5% are less likely to assert unconventional or minority views.
It's not fair to label the 95% who don't care one way or another as those who "thrive in drama and negativity." I'm sure half the users here wouldn't care but I wouldn't say they all thrive in drama and negativity.

I just don't think that completely removing a negative reaction button is very practical because sure, it might encourage some people to be more open about expressing their views when otherwise they might have feared about being disliked into oblivion. However, it also goes the other way, where people will be more open about verbal retaliation without any fear of their behavior being labeled as problematic. Additionally, those who want to cause problems by trolling will be more free to do so as there is little consequence for them.

Would rather keep it. If someone posts something that I disagree with, I'd rather have the option to give a thumbs down to it and move on with my day opposed to the possibility of feeling the need to respond to it with a post (which would likely be negative and counterproductive on my part).

So yah, it would likely increase my posts, but likely not in a positive helpful constructive way.