• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

considered reapplicant if didn't do any secondaries?

fanwar2

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
    Hello,

I am at UMD, and took the mcat this saturday. I don't feel too good about it, and want to think about retaking then reapplying last year. I submitted my AMCAS, and it was verified and sent to my med schools. Should I let those medical schools know that I don't plan on applying this year? finally, when I do the AMCAS again, will I be a re-applicant? even though I didn't do any secondaries?

Thanks for your time, and good luck everyone.

DRNNHA

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
      fanwar2 said:
      Hello,

I am at UMD, and took the mcat this saturday. I don't feel too good about it, and want to think about retaking then reapplying last year. I submitted my AMCAS, and it was verified and sent to my med schools. Should I let those medical schools know that I don't plan on applying this year? finally, when I do the AMCAS again, will I be a re-applicant? even though I didn't do any secondaries?

Hi there,
      I think once AMCAS verified your application, even if you don't do secondaries, you're still considered to be a reapplicant next year. You can find this explanation somewhere in your AMCAS application, the part whether you should mark that you applied before or not.
      Did you apply to a lot of schools? You can try to apply to a few schools to see how it goes. You might have done ok.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
      Moderator Emeritus
      15+ Year Member
      Jun 17, 2004
      Where I hang my hat.
      1. Attending Physician
        Do a search on this question. It's been debated many times that if you don't complete a secondary for a particular school, then you're not a reapplicant to that particular school. Therefore, if you complete NO secondaries for ANY school, you haven't really "applied" to any schools, regardless of the fact you submitted your AMCAS.

Think of it as putting in an interest card for a job. If you then call up the job place and ask for an application but don't fill it out and send it in, have you really applied for the job?

About the Ads

DRNNHA

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 22, 2002
        Los Angeles
          fanwar2 said:
          Hello,

Hey there,
          You can go into your AMCAS application and click on help. They answered this question in there. Plus if you're curious, you can call AAMC or one med school and ask them.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.