N

nap5035

I am starting my dental post-bacc at Penn State in the Spring 2011. I will be applying to dental school in Spring 2012, for the Fall 2013 class. Therefore, I have until ~May 2011 to change residency if I desire, so that I have lived there for 1 year when I apply to d school in June 2012. I am from New York, but have family in Texas. With 3 state schools with AMAZING tuition, and NY only having two state schools Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook, (and their in-state tuition is absurd-look it up), I am really considering moving to Texas. However, if I got into schools like Temple/Maryland/UNC as a NY resident, I would go and become an in-state resident the following year. Question though...are most of the OOS students from these northeastern schools from the northeast? Or would a Texas applicant be limited to schools in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana?

Help a yankee out!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I am starting my dental post-bacc at Penn State in the Spring 2011. I will be applying to dental school in Spring 2012, for the Fall 2013 class. Therefore, I have until ~May 2011 to change residency if I desire, so that I have lived there for 1 year when I apply to d school in June 2012. I am from New York, but have family in Texas. With 3 state schools with AMAZING tuition, and NY only having two state schools Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook, (and their in-state tuition is absurd-look it up), I am really considering moving to Texas. However, if I got into schools like Temple/Maryland/UNC as a NY resident, I would go and become an in-state resident the following year. Question though...are most of the OOS students from these northeastern schools from the northeast? Or would a Texas applicant be limited to schools in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana?

Help a yankee out!

the only thing I can tell you is that buffalo has AMAZING tuition for instate (i think like 22k per year).... And schools like temple, after you get accepted, if you are not a resident of that state, you will not be granted in-state tuition for the entirely of the 4 years

jirotrom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
As a Texas resident I have interviews at, Baylor, Howard, and NYU, so applying oos is not a problem. Now I'll let you know this since my friend tried to get residency as well... just living in Texas wont cut it. If you move here you MUST get a job, or they wont give you residency... if you work and pay taxes through that job for a year you will become a texas resident.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.