Considering moving to Texas...Insane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

nap5035

I am starting my dental post-bacc at Penn State in the Spring 2011. I will be applying to dental school in Spring 2012, for the Fall 2013 class. Therefore, I have until ~May 2011 to change residency if I desire, so that I have lived there for 1 year when I apply to d school in June 2012. I am from New York, but have family in Texas. With 3 state schools with AMAZING tuition, and NY only having two state schools Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook, (and their in-state tuition is absurd-look it up), I am really considering moving to Texas. However, if I got into schools like Temple/Maryland/UNC as a NY resident, I would go and become an in-state resident the following year. Question though...are most of the OOS students from these northeastern schools from the northeast? Or would a Texas applicant be limited to schools in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana?

Help a yankee out!

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting my dental post-bacc at Penn State in the Spring 2011. I will be applying to dental school in Spring 2012, for the Fall 2013 class. Therefore, I have until ~May 2011 to change residency if I desire, so that I have lived there for 1 year when I apply to d school in June 2012. I am from New York, but have family in Texas. With 3 state schools with AMAZING tuition, and NY only having two state schools Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook, (and their in-state tuition is absurd-look it up), I am really considering moving to Texas. However, if I got into schools like Temple/Maryland/UNC as a NY resident, I would go and become an in-state resident the following year. Question though...are most of the OOS students from these northeastern schools from the northeast? Or would a Texas applicant be limited to schools in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana?

Help a yankee out!

the only thing I can tell you is that buffalo has AMAZING tuition for instate (i think like 22k per year).... And schools like temple, after you get accepted, if you are not a resident of that state, you will not be granted in-state tuition for the entirely of the 4 years

As a Texas resident I have interviews at, Baylor, Howard, and NYU, so applying oos is not a problem. Now I'll let you know this since my friend tried to get residency as well... just living in Texas wont cut it. If you move here you MUST get a job, or they wont give you residency... if you work and pay taxes through that job for a year you will become a texas resident.