Considering Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longstech

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are like a billion threads like this, but I felt like each were specific to a single person, so.......I am applying to pharm school this year for the second time. I think that I am going to be rejected again, due to my GPA. I have re-taken several classes to bring up my GPA, but I don't think I will be successful in the end. Anyways, my original plan in college was to apply to med school, and I had taken the MCAT's and had received a 21, not adequate enough to apply. I have talked to a podiatrist several times and am very interested in the field. I have a cum GPA of 2.96 and MCAT of 21. I was looking into applying to DMU and Ohio this year. Do you think I have a chance?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that there are like a billion threads like this, but I felt like each were specific to a single person, so.......I am applying to pharm school this year for the second time. I think that I am going to be rejected again, due to my GPA. I have re-taken several classes to bring up my GPA, but I don't think I will be successful in the end. Anyways, my original plan in college was to apply to med school, and I had taken the MCAT's and had received a 21, not adequate enough to apply. I have talked to a podiatrist several times and am very interested in the field. I have a cum GPA of 2.96 and MCAT of 21. I was looking into applying to DMU and Ohio this year. Do you think I have a chance?

Thanks!

I never hurts to try. I'm not sure if you will get into DMU. The average stats for this incoming class are 3.5, 23-24 but that being said all it will cost you is a little money to apply. I would suggest calling Meghan at DMU and talking to her. She is the admissions director. She is very honest and very nice. I would get her opinion if you want a real evaluation. Not being cocky but if you can get into DMU you can get in anywhere.

Thanks!

hey if you have a GPA of 2.96 in Undergrad.And you said you have tried to repeat classes but it was no help. Are you Sure? you will perform well in a Professional School (Pharm,Med or DPM) based on your current performance in undergrad. As seniors say, Pod school is very hard. if you are not able to pull up regualr Undergrad classes. You shud seriously think. You will get accepted in lower tier pod schools easily with these stats. But think abt studies. Will you be able to handle them.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey if you have a GPA of 2.96 in Undergrad.And you said you have tried to repeat classes but it was no help. What makes you think you will perform well in a Professional School (Pharm,Med or DPM). As seniors say, Pod school is very hard. if you are not able to pull up regualr Undergrad classes. You shud seriously think. You will get accepted in lower tier pod schools easily with these stats. But think abt studies. Will you be able to handle them.

I re-took classes (to bring up my GPA) and received A's in those classes, BUT I don't think it helped any on my getting into grad school. I received C's in my first 2 years in Chem and physics, so it is pulling down my gpa. Other than that I have received B's and A's.

Well, GPA doesn't really tell the whole story. What degree did you work on and how tough was the university? There's a HUGE difference between a biochem or chem B.S. curriculum at a top 100 college versus a B.A. in biology or biological sciences at a university that's not very selective...

Your fairly low MCAT might mean that you'd have to work hard in a graduate medical program, though. The MCAT is pretty much the common denominator which helps compare all students regardless of the college they attended or the courses they took. Unlike GPA, MCAT knowledge shows how a student did on the even playing field.

Well, GPA doesn't really tell the whole story. What degree did you work on and how tough was the university? There's a HUGE difference between a biochem or chem B.S. curriculum at a top 100 college versus a B.A. in biology or biological sciences at a university that's not very selective...

Your fairly low MCAT might mean that you'd have to work hard in a graduate medical program, though. The MCAT is pretty much the common denominator which helps compare all students regardless of the college they attended or the courses they took. Unlike GPA, MCAT knowledge shows how a student did on the even playing field.

Bingo. I would adivse the poster to retake the MCAT instead of retaking classes.