Considering Starting a DAT Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Machete Chetty

Reaction score
I am a junior biology major and I recently took the DAT for the first time and managed to score a 25 AA, 23 PAT. Given these scores and my prior experience as a paid peer tutor (biology, chemistry, physics) for my university, I had an idea that I might be able to offer basic DAT tutoring to students in my pre-dental club. There are ~100 people in the club so I'm just going to assume that ~50 of those are sophomores and junior and say at least 25 of them are currently studying for the DAT. I did my studying via DAT Bootcamp (which the club partners with), so any tutoring I would provide would be loosely based on the strategies I learned from that service. I was thinking about suggesting this idea to the club president so that she might be able to publicize it at the first meeting. I felt like it might be a good idea since these courses are often way too expensive for most students to afford on their own and I would be offering this for free. Additionally, I thought it might be good to allow students to collaborate a little bit since so much of DAT prep is usually independent. Giving students the opportunity to share information and help each other might have positive effects. For my compensation I was just going to ask that I be able to use the hours I spend as community service (although I'm not sure if it qualifies) and that I be considered for an executive position in the club next school year. I was planning on providing weekly tutoring sessions each 1-2 hours long. What do you guys think? Is this something worth going through with? If so, what suggestions do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Giving back to the community with strings attached.

Reactions: 2 users