(July 2026 CBSE) How are we feeling

Started by toofuss
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For all those asking why not 18.
People have situations in life.

My son has medical procedures on that day which was booked a year ahead and couldn’t be cancelled.
I took it yesterday. Also met people at the center, who did not take the exam on 18 because of no slot availability and accommodation.
For those cry babies: the test was not the same. Did extra week matter, not really.
And for the Gunners: Not everyone has life easy and it’s not all about CBSE. Just Study and say I will retake if I get <70.
Life is beyond CBSE, Results will probably be tomorrow.
Good luck everyone.
the name calling and generalization was completely unnecessary, lets be adults shall we.
 
the name calling and generalization was completely unnecessary, lets be adults shall we.
Haha I thought all OMFS were gunners. Guessing it'll be similar to last exam where results come out next week sometime. The reason people are squaking is the CBSE is supposed to be a standardized exam that compares everyone from different dental schools and if the test is different or taken a week later people are always going to wonder if it's a factor for score differences whether it's true or not. You also have everyone antsy to get scores. Just the nature of the beast.
 
For all those asking why not 18.
People have situations in life.

My son has medical procedures on that day which was booked a year ahead and couldn’t be cancelled.
I took it yesterday. Also met people at the center, who did not take the exam on 18 because of no slot availability and accommodation.
For those cry babies: the test was not the same. Did extra week matter, not really.
And for the Gunners: Not everyone has life easy and it’s not all about CBSE. Just Study and say I will retake if I get <70.
Life is beyond CBSE, Results will probably be tomorrow.
Good luck everyone.
Hmmm interested in knowing how you knew the test wasn't the same🤔Was it during the test when you realized?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm interested in knowing how you knew the test wasn't the same🤔Was it during the test when you realized?
I thought they do different sets like the national boards. Else, it would not be fair, imagine someone writing the exam in Hawaii . The student at Hawaii will start by the time east coast gets 2 blocks done.
It’s just my thoughts.
 
67 GIF
 
For all those asking why not 18.
People have situations in life.

My son has medical procedures on that day which was booked a year ahead and couldn’t be cancelled.
I took it yesterday. Also met people at the center, who did not take the exam on 18 because of no slot availability and accommodation.
For those cry babies: the test was not the same. Did extra week matter, not really.
And for the Gunners: Not everyone has life easy and it’s not all about CBSE. Just Study and say I will retake if I get <70.
Life is beyond CBSE, Results will probably be tomorrow.
Good luck everyone.
And how do you know the exam isn't the same Mr Moral? Sounds like you were asking around... quite literally proving the "crybaby" argument.
 
If you take the exam through ASDA instead of AAOMS they give you a two week window in Which you can schedule and take the exam.

You’re also being compared to historical data that includes medical students who take the CBSE as a practice exam prior to step 1.
 
I thought they do different sets like the national boards. Else, it would not be fair, imagine someone writing the exam in Hawaii . The student at Hawaii will start by the time east coast gets 2 blocks done.
It’s just my thoughts.
Yeah potentially but I don't think they would go through all the work considering only like ~400ish people take it and just trust people (also why the exam says you can't reproduce any of it or tell ppl). The CBSE I would say isn't as secure as other prometric exams considering we get open locker access etc. My guess is because they never needed it to be super secure because it was essentially a practice exam for med students until OMFS started using it. Just my 2 cents
 
Any idea what scores these programs are looking for for potential match. I see so many people here larping over 70+!!! But I hear quite opposite with residents.
 
Any idea what scores these programs are looking for for potential match. I see so many people here larping over 70+!!! But I hear quite opposite with residents.
Complex question that doesn’t have much recent data. Also doesn’t help that the CBSE scoring had changes and COVID caused some score increases so what’s competitive and what’s not nowadays is tough. Anecdotally I know residents who think it’s worth it to apply with a score in the 50’s+ and know people who have matched with scores in the 50’s. SDN seems to always be biased to the higher end with most people saying 65 or 70+ is needed. Probably depends a little bit on 4 vs 6 year and the other factors of your application. Personally think 65+ is solid considering that’s high probability of passing step 1. Probably going to have 100 people who disagree but oh well.
 
SDN is known to inflate scores. Residents consistently tell me a score in the high 50's to low 60's is sufficient for 4 year programs at least. Meanwhile if you hop on sdn and they will tell you that you need a 75+. Even the match results are skewed bc majority of the people who post their results are the ones who score on the higher end. its kinda like applying to dental school all over again. Aim for the best you can but a 23aa+ isn't required, you can get in and be a rockstar doc with a 18aa.
 
wait til results come out, you'll here someone say " is my 76 epc good enough" lol. same kid was on forums back in the pre dental days asking was his 24aa good enough to get into dental school. meanwhile the person with a 18aa got accepted and didn't say a word on any forums. forums are know to be skewed towards the high end of any graph simply bc overachieves are worrisome. so here we are 😀
 
Would also like to add that most places I externed at were relatively open about CBSE discussion. Casually asking a resident for advice about CBSE or interview stuff during downtime isn’t a bad idea. Even better if they’re a newer resident who was just in your shoes. Some program directors would even bring up CBSE or other stuff and offer general advice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
60-65 epc to be safe/solid for 4y
65-70+ epc to be safe/solid for 6y

There’s obviously been lower and higher accepted scores. My 6y program has a cutoff of minimum 70 epc for the cbse.
 
Second what OrphanageCaretaker said, with the caveat that I believe the bottom range of score considered at 6s would be a 65 but from what I understand to be truly "safe" and for it to not affect your application negatively a 70 is good everywhere. Also depends on how much control the med school has. If the med school leaves OMFS alone, 65 is likely fine. Anecdotally I've heard the following (this is all hearsay as I'm an applicant but I've heard it repeated by enough residents and attendings that I believe and echo it to my underclassmen)

EPC
<60 = if you're applying with this, apply very broadly and expect a non-cat and a retake (not a guarantee but likely)
60-65 = Can apply to all 4s and some 6s but will not be among the most competitive applicants
65-69 = Competitive for 4s and can apply to most 6s
70+ = Competitive for all programs
 
If I got all my information from just SDN this is what I would think the scale is🤣:

<60: give up
60-75: retake
75-80: competitive for some 4 years
80-85: competitive for all 4 years and some 6 years
>85: competitive for all programs (only if high GPA/rank + 5+ externships + high impact research + extracurriculars + good LORs + cool hobbies + good undergrad GPA + good LORs + interesting haircut)

Meanwhile people from my school are matching left and right with scores in the 50s and 60s. That being said, someone on reddit (not me) compiled the data from sdn match forums to a website omfsdata.com and you can see interesting data regarding cbse score and interview yield (as well as other metrics) although it is limited by the sample size and the fact its all from SDN.
Screenshot 2026-07-26 at 5.22.08 PM.png
 
yeah im not retaking anything that starts with a 6 or 7 😏. but I do think it'll be very irresponsible not to retake a score in the 50's being this early in dental school. getting lets say a 58 as a D2 and not retaking is lowkey asking for it. i'd understand a 58 as let's say a d3/d4 right before its time to submit, like ok apply broadly and go for it.
 
User jellybean2790 just messaged me an entire question directly from the test almost word for word if not completely verbatim with no context. I just responded asking why are you sending me this, and of course did not entertain this guy. I checked again and it seems his account was deleted. I'm wondering if anyone else got a similar message.
 
yo! I got a message before the exam from someone saying that they had the answers to the exam. They were trynna sell it, I figured it was a scam. The account is also deleted.
 
Thats so weird I wonder if it was the same person. Only difference was they sent it to me after the test. Maybe they're trying to prove they have access to questions or something. Already reported via nbme website.
 
eh idk Im sure its a scam maybe a repeat from an old nbme. Or if it isnt then so be it I guess. That's life, people cheat and it isnt fair, but what can you do lol, look at our president 😗. I just want my score back and put this exam behind me hopefully.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Early d3. And I am more interested in 4yr programs like Cincinnati and USC
Would retake if you just started D3 year. Not 100% necessary but I would be kicking myself if i was in your shoes and didn't match knowing I could've retaken. The information will help in residency if nothing else. Also you seem to have an idea where and what type of residency you want. Build a relationship with the program, residents, and attendings as much as possible and that's just as important. I'm an applicant willing to go wherever and want all options open.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently tested and scored lower than I'd hoped. I'm aiming to get my numbers up by the time the February CBSE rolls around. I'd love to hear any advice, resources, or study strategies from those who have successfully boosted their score.
 
I recently tested and scored lower than I'd hoped. I'm aiming to get my numbers up by the time the February CBSE rolls around. I'd love to hear any advice, resources, or study strategies from those who have successfully boosted their score.
what score range were you in? Increasing a score in the low 40's or 50's is a lot different then boosting score in upper 50's or upper 60's. in general if you are at lower end bootcamp vids or pathoma to get a good base foundation is needed. Higher scores come down to question repitition and volume and focusing on a handful of weak subjects.