Contact after the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bob

CCM Fellowship PD
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, this is a few weeks early, but is something I've been wondering about.

Ok, so imagine it's match day, you get your result and, hooray, you matched at some place high on your list.

At this point should you contact other programs you applied to (in some form) and thank them for considering you (especially if you felt they ranked you highly)?

Y'know, to engender good will in the event you run into some of these PDs later in life... or heaven forfend, you have to switch residency programs down the line?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would come across as odd, and a bit presumptuous. You don't really know where, or even if, you were on their list.

I disagree slightly. If you were low or off of their list, they won't care about you contacting them. If you were high on their list, they might appreciate a little recongition and appreciation for considering a long-term commitment to you (and vice versa). It also might soothe some sore feelings if there were "misunderstandings" about your interest in them. Most specialties are smaller and closer communities than we might think.

I think that would come across as odd, and a bit presumptuous. You don't really know where, or even if, you were on their list.

Sounds like a strange idea to me as well.

This isn't like some sort of athletic event; you don't need to shake hands with your opponent, tell them "good match" and have a prayer circle in the middle of the field when you are done.

i certainly wouldn't contact all programs on my list post match just for a 'what if' type scenario. i think the people to contact post match are those who you feel helped/coached you during the application/interview season. but let's say you did an away rotation at program x, and got a recommendation from an attending at program x, and interviewed at program x, but did not match with program x then an email to that attending to thank them for hosting you and letting them know your match outcome would be a nice professional gesture.

I wouldn't do it for the reasons you've listed and as others have said, its not commonly done. I don't think it odd, but its completely unnecessary. You just aren't that memorable...programs aren't going to carry a grudge against you since you didn't rank them highly and take it out on you should you try and apply there for fellowship or transfer.

However, if there was ONE program that you really liked, would consider going to for fellowship, AND they went over and above the usual to treat you well but you didn't match there, a short email or card would be fine if you really feel the need.

Well, this is a few weeks early, but is something I've been wondering about.

Ok, so imagine it's match day, you get your result and, hooray, you matched at some place high on your list.

At this point should you contact other programs you applied to (in some form) and thank them for considering you (especially if you felt they ranked you highly)?

Y'know, to engender good will in the event you run into some of these PDs later in life... or heaven forfend, you have to switch residency programs down the line?

I think it is better to let dead dogs lie. The PDs after match are getting ready to send a flood of paperwork to those who matched at their program, and are focused on other issues after the match, if they wanted you but didn't get you in their program it is best to let them forget.

Emailing them and thanking them for consideration would just be more salt in the wound. Say you weren't rank high enough to match, then such an email would sound presumptuous enough, like I'm sorry I didn't pick you . . . decided to go to Harvard, but thanks for considering the best medical student ever! It would be better to let the PD think you really wanted to go to their program, but maybe weren't rank high enough.

Chances are you probably will consider some different places for fellowship and having everybody forget about this in the next 3-4 years is in your advantage. If nobody ever does this, then don't do it as the act alone may raise eyebrows.

It would be liked Winged sending a letter of interest to a surgical residency program that she never heard back about a residency interview years ago saying that she has "burried the grudge" and would consider a faculty or fellowship position there later on . . . there mere act is a little bizarre after the cards have been dealt in the match . . . sort of like "I guess we won't be dating, but I'd like you to consider me a committed stalker and maybe we can hook up later down the line some time . . ."

I wouldn't do it for the reasons you've listed and as others have said, its not commonly done. I don't think it odd, but its completely unnecessary. You just aren't that memorable...programs aren't going to carry a grudge against you since you didn't rank them highly and take it out on you should you try and apply there for fellowship or transfer.

However, if there was ONE program that you really liked, would consider going to for fellowship, AND they went over and above the usual to treat you well but you didn't match there, a short email or card would be fine if you really feel the need.

That's perhaps the reason I brought this up. There were 2 programs that I rotated through as a medical student and was good friends with the PDs from my pre-medical school days. They went way out of their way to accomodate my difficult military situation when it came to interviews, called a few times before and after my interview to make sure that interview season was going well and then later to make sure that I didn't have any other questions, etc... and their programs still ended up falling way down my ROL.

Those are the ones I was mainly wondering about.

The rest of the programs... well, yea, I could see them getting a post-match letter and thinking "Who is this yahoo? Did he really think we liked him? Hahaha".

I think if you have a personal relationship with the PD or faculty which preexisted before the match then it not unreasonable to send them a thank you note. However, I was basing that on the assumption that these were programs you ranked highly but did not match...it makes it much more awkward if they know they ranked you highly enough to match but you ended up elsewhere (therefore clear that you did not rank them highly enough). Like rubbing salt into the wound, as Darth notes.

If you really feel the need, I would get some time distance and perhaps send them a holiday card this year as way of thank you.

At the same point after your wedding that you contact old girlfriends.

Throw away the little black book. Move on and enjoy your new commitment. Also enjoy the fact you don't have to worry about what these other programs think anymore - not to be rude to them, but you are IN. Enjoy it

After the Match, some programs send questionnaires to the candidates who were high on their list but did not end up with them in the Match. The questionnaires are designed to determine if there were any problems with the interview process that need to be addressed before the next recruiting season begins. If you receive such a questionnaire, this would be the appropriate venue in which to compliment the program, thank them for the opportunity to interview, and detail the factors that led to the your decision in ranking another program higher. Otherwise, programs are concentrating on their new intern class and aren't really thinking about the rest of their rank list.

After the Match, some programs send questionnaires to the candidates who were high on their list but did not end up with them in the Match. The questionnaires are designed to determine if there were any problems with the interview process that need to be addressed before the next recruiting season begins. If you receive such a questionnaire, this would be the appropriate venue in which to compliment the program, thank them for the opportunity to interview, and detail the factors that led to the your decision in ranking another program higher. Otherwise, programs are concentrating on their new intern class and aren't really thinking about the rest of their rank list.

Oooo... I didn't know this. That's perfect. Then if I don't get anything in the mail, I can just go on my merry way.

What about contacting the program you matched with? Do you call or email that day, or wait to hear from them?

What about contacting the program you matched with? Do you call or email that day, or wait to hear from them?

After 1:00 pm (EST) it doesn't matter who calls whom.

If you do get one of these surveys, please fill it out and send it back to the program. It's a great way for that program to look at where they are deficient and try and rectify the situation so that they can be more competitive with similar programs

Are they allowed to ask where you ranked them as part of these post-match surveys? Or this still considered a match violation?

This is technically not what this thread is about, but do programs contact people they ranked high on their list in the period from ROL submission and match day? Since everything is said and done, it doesn't seem like it would matter. I don't really see how it would benefit a program polling their applicants. But has anyone ever gotten a "hey we ranked you high. you said you were ranking us number one. now did you?"

This is technically not what this thread is about, but do programs contact people they ranked high on their list in the period from ROL submission and match day? Since everything is said and done, it doesn't seem like it would matter. I don't really see how it would benefit a program polling their applicants. But has anyone ever gotten a "hey we ranked you high. you said you were ranking us number one. now did you?"

I think once nobody can change anything, the programs are content to sit tight for the mere 21 days, and play wait and see with the rest of us. I mean, what would it accomplish?

I think once nobody can change anything, the programs are content to sit tight for the mere 21 days, and play wait and see with the rest of us. I mean, what would it accomplish?

I don't think that, to any of us at least, it feels like a "mere" 21 days is about to start.

I have a question regarding contacting the program we've actually matched with (not the other programs we did NOT match with). On Match Day, do we call the Program Director, email the Program Director, or wait for them to contact us?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere-- but I am wondering what is the protocol (in terms of contacting the program via phone or email, or wait for them to contact us) after we find out where we've matched with the program? -OR- should we wait a day to call?

Iserson's says to make a brief call to the Program Director-but if it's a big program that's a lot of phone calls for the PD to take, and am wondering if that would start you off on a bad note if you are one of the people bombarding the PD with phone calls--or if you DON'T call, do you look disappointed/uninterested?

Thanks for the advice-I'm clueless and not sure what we are supposed to do!! :oops:

Good luck everyone on Match 2009! :xf: :luck: :love:

I think for most of the smaller class specialties (<10), I've heard stories that the program normally calls to congratulate the future intern. But you bring up a good point, I can't imagine the PD making 30-50 calls for say an IM intern class.

I have a question regarding contacting the program we've actually matched with (not the other programs we did NOT match with). On Match Day, do we call the Program Director, email the Program Director, or wait for them to contact us?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere-- but I am wondering what is the protocol (in terms of contacting the program via phone or email, or wait for them to contact us) after we find out where we've matched with the program? -OR- should we wait a day to call?

Iserson's says to make a brief call to the Program Director-but if it's a big program that's a lot of phone calls for the PD to take, and am wondering if that would start you off on a bad note if you are one of the people bombarding the PD with phone calls--or if you DON'T call, do you look disappointed/uninterested?

Thanks for the advice-I'm clueless and not sure what we are supposed to do!! :oops:

The most likely scenario is that the PDs and probably the PC and even some of the residents will call you to offer welcome and express their excitement at the Match. Conversely, there is no reason you could not call the PD. The phone number you have is most likely the main office number and not the PD's cell or home number--so if he/she is not available when you call someone will take the message and relay it. From the Program's perspective, it's never a bad thing to hear from excited future Interns. However, we also understand that you are generally out celebrating with your friends after the Match.

I called my PD on match day. I think it shows that you are excited to be a part of the program, and are looking forward to working there.