Contact lens rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeman2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I write a contact lens rx on a regular rx pad and give it to a pt so that she can order her cls somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I write a contact lens rx on a regular rx pad and give it to a pt so that she can order her cls somewhere else?

My local OMD does this all the time since he says that he makes almost nothing from contacts (I don't even think he sells them anymore). He writes prescriptions for contact lenses on the "regular rx pad", so I dont see why an OD wouldnt be able to do the same. Just as a note, I recall him writing the particular brand (i think because he wanted to make sure that you were getting the proper bc/dia and not something random?) on the rx as well but I don't know if that's common practice. @KHE do you do something similar?

Also, I'm curious to know if ODs on here still give samples or trial lenses for contacts that you know a pt will order online or is it just 'at their own risk'.

Members don't see this ad :)
I routinely do this in offices where I don't use EMR. I personally don't like the Rx pads with the eyewear box in them. They're not nearly as versatile and, in my area, just as expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I heard from somewhere that you can write Rx on a napkin and it would still count as long as you have all the info required?