Contacting Adcom Members Directly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be a terrible idea to contact adcom members directly to ask them how I compare to their matriculants? I'm taking a gap year, so I want to make sure that I take advantage of the time to fix any weaknesses in my app. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would vote that it is a bad idea, though it is hard to think of a way that this would actually hurt you, the potential is always there to rub people the wrong way. But, more salient, I don't think that it will be productive.

Simply put, in medical school admissions, unlike job interviews or even residency interviews, you are not compared directly with other applicants. Yes, every once in a while someone will make a comment in committee, but you aren't put side by side. You are compared against class averages and what the general profile of their students are. If you want to know how you stack up academically against matriculants, buy/consult MSAR (which you should already have). For all the other components, feedback from SDN/mentors is going to be just as good frankly.

Reactions: 2 users
I would vote that it is a bad idea, though it is hard to think of a way that this would actually hurt you, the potential is always there to rub people the wrong way. But, more salient, I don't think that it will be productive.

Simply put, in medical school admissions, unlike job interviews or even residency interviews, you are not compared directly with other applicants. Yes, every once in a while someone will make a comment in committee, but you aren't put side by side. You are compared against class averages and what the general profile of their students are. If you want to know how you stack up academically against matriculants, buy/consult MSAR (which you should already have). For all the other components, feedback from SDN/mentors is going to be just as good frankly.
Thanks for the advice. I always prefer to be proactive and meet with people whenever possible. Still, if it's not appropriate, then I won't bother them.