Contacting OMA at SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JROXZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the Office of Minority affairs website at SUNY Downstate once read, "cannot offer counseling to premeds.." Does this still apply?

This is my absolute #1 school and would prob decline top tiers, no bs. I just need some real orientation from the source using what I have and seeing what they need.

Also, what do I ask for? An interview, a session? I just want to get the wording down so I may come across more effectively on the phone.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the Office of Minority affairs website at SUNY Downstate once read, "cannot offer counseling to premeds.." Does this still apply?

I SERIOUSLY doubt that would ever be the case. "Counseling premeds" and doing their part to aid retention of students is one of the primary focuses of these offices.

This is my absolute #1 school and would prob decline top tiers, no bs. I just need some real orientation from the source using what I have and seeing what they need.

I do not understand what you are saying or asking for with this statement.

Also, what do I ask for? An interview, a session? I just want to get the wording down so I may come across more effectively on the phone.

Tell them about yourself. When are you intending to apply or did you apply this application cycle?

Sorry about that...

A simple evaluation where they might be able to tell me what I need to do to maximize my application this cycle.

Although I can figure this for my own in a general way, the MSAR, students, etc., the OMA may provide help in a more focused way.

Sorry about that...

A simple evaluation where they might be able to tell me what I need to do to maximize my application this cycle.

Although I can figure this for my own in a general way, the MSAR, students, etc., the OMA may provide help in a more focused way.

Oh,ok. I understand you a bit better now. I will assume that you are applying this coming summer for the 2008 entering class.

Just call the numbers in the Minority Student Opportunities in US Medical Schools book or the MSAR and tell them about yourself and what your numbers look like. If the travel is not too much of a stretch for you, arrange a meeting with them for some time over the summer.

This topic of contacting OMAs has been discussed here before in the following thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=381946

Good luck and keep us abreast of how things go for you.:luck: